Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Looking for a new sight

Old 06-13-2004, 04:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Looking for a new sight

Why are you getting rid of your savage? Is it the QC Ranger? Inquisitive minds want to know.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:11 AM

scooba81,All the sights mention are excellant sights,and believe me,I've tried most of them.I use an HHA 5000 Optimizer Lite.My eyesight restricts me from useing a sight like the Spot-Hoggs,or just about any multi pin sight.The single pin HHA has the brightness I need,and it's very well made.Plus,you can buy different appettures for the HHA's,which makes them very versitile...Bob
Old 06-13-2004, 09:57 AM

My choice for a single pin is the Impact Cosmic aslo.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:53 AM

Copper John or Spot Hogg are both money well spent. You can't go wrong with either of these two.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:11 AM

i just picked up a impact cosmic w/ a large aperture, taking off my hha optimizer lite - which is a great sight. not enough usage out of the cosmic yet to give you a definate, but i lost a shot last year right before pitch black - i could see the deer until i drew the bow. i got a no peep, and finally got it just right, to get rid of the loss of visuals caused by a peep in low light, and went to the lg aperture cosmic for this reason also. also i have a blue l.e.d. light rigged to barely illuminate the sight and no peep, because any sight light i have seen actually provides too much illumination and creates a light halo that is difficult to see through in low light. the cosmic was too easy to install and sight in. it is a single pin and the movement of the slide isn't as 'clean' as the hha and requires the loosening of 2 thumbscrews instead of the 1 required by the hha. the variability of distance you can shoot from is increased with the cosmic system though, which i like. the pin is easily as naturally bright as the hha as far as i can tell. i am big into single pin sights, its just less confusing to me.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve gone through quite a few sights in the past couple of years…including most that are being discussed here.

As for quality construction, I don’t think you can beat the Spott-Hogg or a Sure-Loc. Only 2 things keep me from buying them. Pins are very dull, and not terribly “hardy”. They cost way too much money for dull, less than strong pins, IMO.

Copper John is a very nice site too, especially for the $, but again, the pins are dull.

I’ve had issues with my Cosmic. Stripped screws, pin gets way too hazy/fuzzy due to the clear plastic, original knobs suck, (admittedly they fixed this). Bought the (expensive) Lense kit, it cracked and went flying in pieces after about 20 shots. Bad luck I guess.

HHA OL5000.Good sight overall. Pin is ultra clear due to the pin housing itself, and the black “scope”. Have had some minor issues with the horizontal micro adjustment staying tight, and the plastic bushings getting sloppy (creating noise, and causing slight rights and lefts).

I’ve had a few others that don’t even deserve a mention [:@]

In order to shake up my Target Panic this year, I wanted to go back to a horizontal pin. I wanted something easy to adjust (with micro), solid, bright (but not too big) pins, and quiet. After spending much time and effort researching/checking sights out, I settled on the new Cobra Sidewinder LX. Overall, I’m very pleased. Very bright (but well defined) pins, highly adjustable (in every way). I like going back to the dovetail mount because I was able to put the sight out further to where the pin guard centers/fits in my peep perfectly. It also comes with a standard mounting plate for those who like them, a set of those “glo-sticks” and a black spool cover for low light, and a dovetail clamp for when you need to remove the pin guard housing to get in a bowcase or what have you (pin guard will go back on the exact same place)

The only 2 things that I don’t like are that the pin spools create a slight amount of vibration/noise, and if you want less than 5 pins you have to take the whole sight apart and remove the spools. To “fix” that I just loosened and pushed 3 of the 5 pins all the way to the bottom where they don’t clutter up my sight picture. As for the noise.I’m not hearing it at the shot, and have had other people listen for it too and they can’t either. I can only hear it when I rap the riser with my fist, so no biggie IMO. First Cobra sight I’ve had in probably 10 years, and they have improved remarkably. Definitely worth a look.

I really over the years have (thought) I liked the vertical pin better, but now after going back and forth on a couple of my bows, I find the single vertical pin blocking too much of the target comparatively. :shrug:
Old 06-14-2004, 11:20 AM

That's funny Jeff as I have one as well and I'm not real happy woth the brightness of the pins at all. It'll be a hunting setup with a few 3d's in there but I worry alrady about low light after coming from the Impact Cosmic (which I love for hunting but agree it's almost 2 bright and the screws suck).

I wish they had a light for it without running the "snake" around the grip and stuff.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:40 PM

Just put the Copper John Dead Nuts on my new Outback.....good durable sight
Old 06-15-2004, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Trushot_archer

That's funny Jeff as I have one as well and I'm not real happy woth the brightness of the pins at all..
Wow, you must be more blind than I am! Do you have the Sidewinder LX? I know Cobras pins last year were not quite as bright and one of the Cobra folks mentioned the improvement to the fiber for 2004 in one of the industry rags. I was out shooting yesterday evening during last shooting light, and they were super bright, but still well defined.

The Cosmic IMO only needs a smoke colored housing to combat the problem. The clear plastic lets in way too much light, and the pin washes out because there is not enough contrast between the pin "dot" and the plastic pin itself. At least for my eyes it does. There is a new sight by GWS (who makes low end accessories..mostly peep sights), which is very similar to a Cosmic with a clear plastic scope and pin housing but they put a piece of narrow black plastic on the face of the pin so that the contrast is there. Unfortunately the sight is kinda flimsy otherwise.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:04 AM

Wow Jeff , your always one step ahead !

I am shooting an Impact Cosmic ! Great sight ......but really it is too bright ! I have made some modifications to mine with a magic marker [8D].......it has helped a little !

However my mulie hunt is coming up and I want to use a fixed pin sight this year.........so last week I ordered a Cobra Sidewinder 3 pin ! Need to figure out my set up ..........but I think I may go with a 30-50-70 !!
I wondered about the fiber optics making noise.......I will have to check that when I get it set up !!