Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Helical or Straight Fletch

Old 06-09-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Helical or Straight Fletch

I am going to start fletching my own arrows, but was wondering whether I should fletch straight with a 1-2 degree offset, or if I should fletch helical? If helical, which direction, left or right. I currently have a fall away rest (QT 4000) so I don't think vane clearance would be an issue if helical. But wanted to open it up to find out what the advantages and disadvantages are of each.

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Helical or Straight Fletch

Right helical.
Tightens you point instead of loosens them.
Adds some spin satability to arrow during flight.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

my vote goes to right helical, tightening plus stabilization.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:45 PM

Helical will give you more spin than off set. I would go with right wing fletch It tightens your broadheads and right wing feathers are easier to find than left wing.
Old 06-09-2004, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think we all think alike!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ncbowhunter

right wing feathers are easier to find than left wing.
This is really a regional thing..In the south RW is quite poular..up here in the abyss..er..New England... Left wing is much easier to find at the shops..very few carry RW...We have every color gateway makes I think in LW at my local shop, but about 4 colors in RW for those who want RW..most shops don't even carry a few colors of RW. And even with vanes everyone fletches LW it seems.

As to the original question..Helical..regardless of wing...just make sure if you are using feathers to get RW clamps for RW feathers and LW clamps for LW feathers
Old 06-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with right wing fletch on about 11 deg
Old 06-09-2004, 09:59 PM

Okay, so it sounds like there is a consensus that right helical is best. So I have one more question. After looking at cabelas, it looks like they offer feathers in a right wing configuration, but I don't see anything for vanes. Can vanes be fletched helically, or is helical fletching limited to feathers?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Vanes can be fletched in any configuration that you wish. There is no right of left wing for vanes.

Feathers are called right and left wing due to the way that they are cut. They will bend around the arrow shaft in one direction only. Next time you are at your pro shop look at a right and left wing feather side by side. Notice the quill of the feather and the side that it is cut. On a right wing feather the quill will be on the left side of the feather (looking from back to front) and opposite for a left wing feather.

I also agree with the rest. I like right wing helical with feathers. But it is a complete personal preference with a compound bow. It does make a difference when shooting a recurve or long bow off the shelf.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:46 PM

Wait a minute, Jeff -

You're telling us that the South tends to be Right Wing, whereas New England tends to be Left Wing? Really!?

Quick Reply: Helical or Straight Fletch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.