Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many fps am I loosing w/ silencers

Old 06-07-2004, 10:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many fps am I loosing w/ silencers

That's fine WashingtonHunter! you may be very well right ,but I did read something about it and I might have just misinturprated what I read.I had a hard time believing it myself but there's no better place to find out which is right than here on this forum.
OAKTREE! hopefully your correct because I won't put anything else on my string because I don't like to lose any speed if I can avoid it.

nubo
Old 06-08-2004, 05:59 AM

Why don't you guys try something that has worked for me.The result was concluded after a lot of testing,trial and error.The chrono is accurate,and we use an Appel press.The results where consistant using my LX,and my buddies Q2,Hoyt Razortech,Renegade SBD,and a 03 SC Bowtech Patriot.First off,the Simms string leeches seem to work the best for being quite(our opinion).But the main reason for all this testing was speed,and what effect the string silencers had.If you only put ONE string leech at the TOP(above) your serving,you will lose no speed,and the quiteness of the bow is the same.Whereas if you put two string leeches(one top & bottom),you lose between 3-7 fps,with no change in the bows quiteness.Check it out,I hope it works for you!!...Bob
Old 06-08-2004, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trestand

Why don't you guys try something that has worked for me.The result was concluded after a lot of testing,trial and error.The chrono is accurate,and we use an Appel press.The results where consistant using my LX,and my buddies Q2,Hoyt Razortech,Renegade SBD,and a 03 SC Bowtech Patriot.First off,the Simms string leeches seem to work the best for being quite(our opinion).But the main reason for all this testing was speed,and what effect the string silencers had.If you only put ONE string leech at the TOP(above) your serving,you will lose no speed,and the quiteness of the bow is the same.Whereas if you put two string leeches(one top & bottom),you lose between 3-7 fps,with no change in the bows quiteness.Check it out,I hope it works for you!!...Bob
I've not tested the speed diff between one and two leeches but I have noticed that two are not significantly quieter than one (i've set up several bows with just one). I'm gonna check this out this weekend through the chrono @ the shop. Thanx for the heads-up!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, you'll be reporting back, right?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Does your bow need silencers to quiet it enough for hunting? If the answer is YES, then install the silencers. If you gotta have 'em, you gotta have 'em. No sense obsessing about speed loss when you're talking about a necessary accessory.

I'm no fan of leeches. I can't see spending that much money for something I'd have to have a chronograph and decibel meter to see any advantage over catwhiskers.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
I'm no fan of leeches. I can't see spending that much money for something I'd have to have a chronograph and decibel meter to see any advantage over catwhiskers.
First off, good to see ya back AP.

Second, I've never needed to do anything of the sort, there's no doubt in my mind (ears?) that leeches work better than Whiskers unless you are using an extremely heavy set of them (i.e 2 or 3 strips per bundle). The only downside to leeches is longevity.

My point was that if one leech works sufficently to do the job, then why would one take the speed hit (i.e for no reason)?

But absolutely I agree that you should not forego silencers of any kind just for a few FPS if the bow has some string twang.

And yes RB, I'll let ya know
Old 06-08-2004, 09:55 AM

Echoing Arthur P; forget the speed. These days, speed is so highly overrated other more important aspects have taken a back seat. You gotta use what you gotta have.

Rather than being concerned about loss of speed, I would be watchful that the spine of your shaft does not become too stiff once weight of any type is added that skims off energy. Changing of shaft spine is something many shooters hardly consider when adding weight to the string.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 AM

Hey JeffB,Let me know how you make out...Bob
Old 06-08-2004, 10:54 AM

Hey Bigbuck270,

If you silence your bow, the deer won't jump the string. If it isn't silenced, and they do jump the string, then the 2-10 fps that you may lose won't make any difference anyway. Just put on the silencers and forget the "speed loss." It is insignificant.

PS- I like the fleece "tarantulas."

Mainehunt
Old 06-08-2004, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, no doubt leeches work. Compared to whiskers though, they do not work enough BETTER than whiskers... for not nearly enough savings in fps... for not nearly enough lifespan... for me to rationalize paying the price they want.

You know how much of an old-fashioned tightwad I are.

Quick Reply: How many fps am I loosing w/ silencers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.