Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow spine

Old 06-07-2004, 08:26 AM

Default arrow spine

I recently read an article that stated changing broadhead weight will affect the proper spine on arrows. Did I understand this correctly in that a heavier broadhead needs a stronger spine and vice versa? I shoot aluminum arrows and with the way my bow is set up I shoot 2216's. If I go from 100 to 125 grain heads how much if any does this affect my need for different spined arrows?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: arrow spine

Heavier broadheads will affect the spine of the arrow but does not nessessiarily mean you have to change arrows, now if you are already usung a weak arrow and go up in point weight you will most definately experience underspined arrow.

most important thing Imo is not to be too heavy on front because a lot of FOC% will cause the arrow to drop much faster
opposed to an arrow that is between 7 and 10% FOC.

unless you are hunting Big affrican Game I see absolutley no need to use any thing heavier than 85 Grain. JMO
Old 06-07-2004, 11:13 AM

I will also add to YES but if you’re looking at going from 100 grain to 125 grain there shouldn't be any difference in flight unless you’re pushing the limits of your set up now.
If that be the case and the arrows act differently try 2314 same weight per inch but stiffer.
Next FOC.. yes it affects but out 25 yards you wont notice the difference but the same could be said for a long 100grain head (thunderhead) and a short (rocky) your arrow will start dropping sooner . I am no speed freak and believe the 240/250 fps range is perfect
For any hunting bow...the arrows are heavier and they WILL QUITE THE BOW DOWN...
Even in carbons they are making the hunting weight 8.5 up 12....grains per inch
And a heavier arrow is easier to tune.....
Old 06-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even in carbons they are making the hunting weight 8.5 up 12....grains per inch
And a heavier arrow is easier to tune.....
oh really!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:51 AM

Like I said I just wasn't sure. Thanks for the input. According to paper tuning I need to turn my draw weight down whether I shoot 100's or 125's. I'm only drawing between 55-60, shooting 29 in arrows. I've gone to the 125 field points to get my foc% up above the 7% mark. I shoot a Browning Mirage and my fps is lower than other bows.