Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

switching from mech to fingers?...

Old 06-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: switching from mech to fingers?...

I shot with fingers for years but finally came around to using a release I will never go back to fingers.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Show me:

I hope Arthur will respond to this, since he is much more knowlegeable. Most of what I have read says that you will get a more consistent release when using a deeper "hook" like the first joint. If you try to use the tips of your fingers, you get more tension, and have a harder time getting a subconscious release.

You've got me thinking about this again. Hopefully, I will be giving it a try again when I get some longer arrows. I have the old 43" ATA bow that shoots well and quietly. Just have to put in the training time to overcome the target panic I get with fingers. Good project for me for next off-season.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:50 AM

I shot with fingers for almost 30 years before switching to a release. I did not find much of an increase in accuracy, when making the switch. Certainly not enough difference to be significant in my style of close range hunting. What I did find was, that with the release I could draw the bow easier. I have tendonitis in both shoulders and have been forced to make some adjustments, like going to a bow with easier drawing cams and using a mechanical release. That said, I must also add that I've cursed my release, while out hunting, on more than one occassion. There is no way that it is as convenient or as reliable as shooting with fingers.

During my first 30 years of hunting, I never once asked myself what I had done with my fingers, or spat a curse word after having dropped my fingers from my treestand (though I'm sure I would, if it ever happened).
Old 06-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Joe is correct. Snuggle the string into the creases of the first joint.

Straightarrow, I reckon if I dropped my fingers outta the tree, I'd be muttering a few choice words myself. LOL