Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

switching from mech to fingers?...

Old 06-01-2004, 01:08 PM

Default RE: switching from mech to fingers?...

yeah, i realize with all things being equal i will lose speed if i make the switch. but, i will have to increase my drawlength to make up the difference for my d-loop if i want to keep my form...
Old 06-01-2004, 03:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very well. Just wanted to make sure you knew ALL the negatives about fingers shooting before you dove in. I've seen too many prospects go back to releases when they shot fingers through a chronograph. As long as you know what to expect, have weighed the plus's against the minus's and want to do it anyway, you have an excellent chance at becoming an excellent fingers shooter.

Welcome to the club.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:24 AM

well, i've got another question and thought instead of starting a new thread i would just continue it here...okay, so i have been doing some shooting (with fingers) in the yard (just to get a feel for fingers) and i definately need a new anchor. so, what is typical? i am going to be a split finger shooter as it is the most comfortable to me (one finger above the arrow, two below.) of course my bow is still set-up for my mech release (i.e. my peep is too high when i shoot with fingers and my draw length is a bit too short) so, i am having trouble finding a good comfortable, consistant anchor point. so, again, what is typical for a finger shooter? can anyone help a guy out?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

For sights shooting, I always used the index finger at the corner of my mouth, thumb relaxed down into the palm, with the corner of my jaw snuggled into the pocket between my thumb and forefinger.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

show me bhtr

archers paradox is what happens when the string rolls off the fingers
the inward roll into the shelf causes the arrow to kick at the back end
and which in turn pushesthe front end out it is nessessiary to have a perfectly spined arrow to over come this paradox otherwise you will have arrows impacting the target side ways and off course.

clear as mud?
Old 06-04-2004, 08:24 AM

bigpapascout,

no, i understand you perfectly! wow, i always seem to learn something everytime i log on. thanks for that reply. now, let me pose another question...is the paradox the reason for plunger style rests? i'm thinking yes, but want to ask to be sure. so, theoretically, i may gain an "archer's paradox" but it can be overcome with a properly
spined arrow and a slightly out of center rest position, correct? are there any other tuning issues that i will have to confront?

arthur p,

i kept trying to anchor my middle finger in the corner of my mouth, but really didn't know what to do with my thumb. it really seemed like it was in the way. using my "imaginary" bow, i can tell that the anchoring method you described feels VERY comfortable and natural. i will definately give it a try when i get a chance to shoot my bow tonight or tomorrow...
Old 06-04-2004, 08:27 PM

Sho-me, I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers and I respect your choices but it seems like an awful lot of crap to go through to keep from having to carry a release or two. Heck, I could carry 5 without even knowing it. They're pretty small. Just my .02 and I'll stay away with my .02 after this post if your staying with it.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe you should learn all the benefits of shooting fingers before trying to talk someone out of making a sensible decision.

There is no more 'crap' to go through shooting fingers than there is with shooting a release. Different crap for sure, but exactly the same amount of it.

You lose a few fps shooting fingers, but your bow shoots quieter. A lot of the time, the only thing that can be heard is the metallic CLICK the release makes when the bow is shot. Even as bad as my fingers are, they don't make a metallic click.

You tune to accomodate the paradox just like you tune to get that 'bullethole' with a release.

You don't have to fumble around with a release when a sudden shot opportunity is presented.

A pocketfull of finger tabs is a LOT cheaper than a pocketfull of releases.

Take the money saved and invest in higher quality arrows!

You don't even have to have a finger tab or glove to take one quick hunting shot.

Fingers don't sieze up and quit working just because they've got mud, dust or debris on 'em.

What happens to your shot opportunity when your release fails and forces you to try and dig out your backup? Having 5 backup releases doesn't mean you're going to get a shot, just means you're prepared to put up with at least 5 failures and 5 missed opportunities in one day.

There are many good reasons to avoid shooting a release.

I can't think of more than two reasons to shoot a release. Having a bow too short to comfortably shoot fingers. Not having the physical aptitude to learn how to shoot fingers.

You want to talk about putting up with crap! Ask a traditional shooter what he thinks about all that crap you've got hanging on your compound. LOL![8D]
Old 06-05-2004, 10:10 AM

Sho-me, try adding a kisser button about 2 inches above the arrow's nock. I use a rubber eliminator button and it works great for me.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:18 PM

I am not trying to talk anyone out of finger shooting their compound. I am only trying to understand with all the technology on a compound, and the gadgets that are on them and in the arrows, why someone would choose the release as the area of concern for failure. I guess I have been lucky because I've never had a release failure or any problems with any of the reasons that were given for shooting fingers. Anyway, I guess this will do it for me on this post. Good luck Show-me, in whatever way you decide to shoot. See ya.

Quick Reply: switching from mech to fingers?...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.