Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

When is it too many twist?

Old 02-21-2002, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When is it too many twist?

I know I have been asking string questions for a while now and I am really sorry to keep rehashing this.

One more though. I ordered my new string at 92 1/2, which is what is stated on the bow sticker. How can you tell if you put too many twist in it? Can I over do it and mess the bow up? How many twist should I start with?

Thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate your answers!
Old 02-21-2002, 06:47 PM

Default RE: When is it too many twist?

I would say at first 8-10 twists would be fine, maybe e-mail the company that made your bow or string & ask them for some advice.
Old 02-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Fork Horn

You'll have to judge it yourself. Rule of thumb I use is 1 twist every 2" of string length. If your draw seems a bit short then untwist, if too long then twist it up. A friend bought a used bow from a shop many years ago and when he shot it I told him it looked way short. He took it back and they untwisted the string something like 50 twists and it fit him right then. We talked to the guy who used to own it and he said that he liked to twist the string way up (like 100 twists). Something I wouldn't do or recommend. Almost seems to me that Larry Wise had something in one of his books about not going over 60 twists. Maybe somebody else will know more on that.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muzzy, the amount of twists you can get away with would vary with string length. On a 92.5" string I would not be afraid to put 60 twists in it. However, if you are buying a string specifically made to length, after 15-20 twists you will really start to lower poundage and drawlength.