Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Whats wrong with me ???

Old 05-31-2004, 07:03 PM

Default RE: Whats wrong with me ???

This is just my opinion, but I think Bowtech has many other bows in their lineup that are better for hunting, ie. Patriot, Liberty, Justice, Mighty Might, Pat Dually, Extreme. The only advantage that little extra speed will give you is if you are poor at judging distances. And the draw curve is very stout! Even if my form was flawless, I feel there is always a happy medium between speed and forgiveness. I went with the Liberty and it has been good to me. If I needed to squeeze out a few more FPS, I would have gone with the Pat or Pat Dually. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2004, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is not the simple. Increased FPS does not always and automatically compute to greater KE and penetration.
True, but when coupled with that 450 grain arrow that he mentioned it should prove to be one effective setup in terms of penetration capability.

As many of the others have stated there are some advantages to shooting a fast IBO rating bow but you have to weigh it with the disadvantages. For one, though the bow may be fast with an IBO weight arrow, just how fast is it with a mid to heavy weight arrow? Some bows show a definite preference in terms of efficiency for a specific grains per pound ratio. If speed bow "A" is fast with a 350 grain arrow is it going to be still reasonably fast with a 450 grain arrow in comparison to a bow with slightly more forgiving characteristics?

Two, with a shorter draw length the shorter brace height bows are not quite as critical to shoot but you still have to concern yourself with hunting situations and the potential for arm slap.

Every couple years I get the urge to shoot a rat-trap speed bow but after shooting it for awhile I eventually give it up for something more moderate in terms of design and more accurate in my hands overall.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

BH,in the 5" to 5 1/2" range
Thats kind of low for a hunting bow , considering you will probably be wearing a winter coat while hunting . Something that may help is to use an arm gard to keep your jacket from contacting the string . I would sugest at least 6 1/2 inches of brace height for this issue alone . I can shoot a short brace bow farely well , but short axil bows dont work for me . I think the patriot dualy , or better yet the pro 40 dualy , or cougar mag nitrous bows would fit your "need for speed" well and probably shoot better than the black max you mention .
Old 06-01-2004, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Droptine, yes the arrow is light. I did specify that it is a 3D outfit. The arrow weighs 280gr. Would I hunt with it? Absolutely not. My hunting arrows weight between 316gr and 330gr depending on which ones I choose, and what shoots best out of the bow. I do not concern myself with KE and penetration on deer sized game. With the 316gr arrow at 237fps I've blasted right through deer, and even broken shoulder bones trying to exit the off side. I do however, concern myself with tuning to the nth degree and tuning myself so I can hit where I aim.

My hunting setup with this SlayR chrono's right at 280fps. Heck, I might back the bow down to about 52 and get about 270fps. Why pull harder? It's about accuracy.