Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about tuning drop-aways.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about tuning drop-aways.

I recently got a new bow and I equipped it with a Ultra-rest dropaway. I was wondering why they put adjustments on the rest if it falls away when shot? Wouldn't the nocking point be the only thing that matters?
Old 05-30-2004, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about tuning drop-aways.

I'm not familiar with this rest but, you still need to set center shot and arrow height. You also need to be able to move the rest when tuning.
Old 05-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

But why the arrow doesn't contact the rest?
Old 05-30-2004, 10:15 PM

If the arrow isn't straight to begin with, it won't fly from the string straight either.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:04 AM

no. if you paper tune and move your rest forward and backward after you've gotten center shot you will see that it changes the vertical nature of the tear. i believe this has to do with nock travel, please correct me if i'm wrong. there is initial pressure on your rest when you release, and the point on your arrow where that pressure is affects its flight. this is what it seems anyway, all i know is it does affect paper tuning. it makes a bigger difference on my single cam than it did on my dually, and i think nock travel is the culprit, and bowtechs like mine have nock travel. i think its like the tt site says - with drop aways you have to be somewhat creative when tuning and you may have to apply more experiments than the traditional tuning methods to get your bow tuned just right for you. my reasoning may be all wrong, but it will affect tuning.
Old 05-31-2004, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

just because the rest falls dont mean you dont have to set the center shot and vertical alignment of the rest.

the rest still works just like any other rest it is there to guide the arrow in a strait path if it is not set properly it will not work right.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:28 PM

The arrow needs to be pointing in the right direction before the rest drops away.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:58 AM

yes, you shouldn't try and nock the point of the arrow because it generally causes poor flight, this is especially true with broadheads
Old 06-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

What everyone is trying to get at is, you need to have the rest adjusted properly at full draw. Otherwise the arrow will start out on the wrong path, and get worse from there. The arrow must contact the rest at full draw, and for a few inches of travel.