Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

WWAG's Bowmender Press "review"

Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default WWAG's Bowmender Press "review"

Finally got around to using this thing. Been sitting in the packing box since I opened and looked at it what seems like eons ago...

No pics, as I have no digital camera. If Walks has some picks he wants to interject into the body of this post, I'd be more than happy to do so. Just put up a post with the links you think appropriate, and I'll edit them in

The press contains 4 metal arms with 2 being mirror images of the other, a ratchet strap, and a bag of bolts, nuts and plastic tubing for bolt cushions. All of the bolts/nuts are equal size, which makes it handy and easy to assemble. 4 of the plastic tubings are the same size, 2 are bigger, the ones that go over the limb adjustment bolts, to facilitate their removal when repositioning the bolts as necessary when doing differently configurated bows.

Assembly starts with taking two of the metal arms, slipping 3 bolts through each, and laying them flat. The plastic tubes are then slid over the bolt. The instructions say to use cooking or other household lubricant, but I found they slid over with only relatively minor force needing applied.

Next you slip the loops of the ratchet straps over the top bolts, making sure the ratchet handle is facing up. Then slip the remaining two arms over the bolts, finger tighten the 6 nuts and you're done Takes about 2 minutes if you're inept...

To press a bow, simply remove the 6 nuts, remove the two top arms, lay your bow in so the lower press bolts are on the string side of the top of the riser and move the upper press bolts so they are just below the limb forks (or about 2-3" from the eccentrics if pressing a split limb, I assume). It's important to make sure the top limb press bolts are on the outside of the bow. Don't be a goofus like me the first time I tried and overlook this step. It makes you look/feel stupid.

Replace the two metal arms and finger tighten the bolts. Pull all excess strap through the ratchet assembly, and stand the press up. Ratchet the strap until the desired slack in the cable/string is obtained, and perform your work. When done, un-ratchet the strap while making sure the string/cable are in their appropriate tracks on the eccentrics. Lay the press down, undo the bolts, remove the 2 metal arms and remove your bow. You're done

Fit, Finish and Looks- All excellent. Welds are top notch, very smooth, and the press is painted a nice durable looking white. My ratchet strap is red with black/gold hardware, makes for a very attractive addition to your shop. All your friends/enemies will be envious I'd guess it weghs between 1-2#s at most, but very substantial feeling.

Function- Flawless and rediculously simple. I did struggle a bit with the function of the ratchet strap, but that's been a life long affair for me I've got it down now, thanks to an assist from WWAG, and I am no longer ratchet phobic. My bow has a 7.5" brace, and there was ample room to do whatever work I would want to do on my bow. The strap's location doesn't present any issues for me.

All in all, compared to the $2-300 bench models, at $75 shipped from a heck of a good guy, this things rocks. It's at home on the bench or in the field. I'm a cheap bas, er, guy, and I'm very happy I laid down the cabbage for this wonderful tool. You should too so you can be happy like me

Thanks again, Walks
Old 05-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: WWAG's Bowmender Press "review"

How about "letting down" the bow after you have finished the work?
Can you do it one "click" at a time?
Old 05-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about "letting down" the bow after you have finished the work?
Can you do it one "click" at a time?
Essentially, yes

This is where I was scared to death. I had visions of me screwing it up due to my ratchet history, and my bow imploding to brace.

WWAG walked me through it, basically you put the ratchet handle back to the up position like you were gonna tighten it. Tighten it just a tad, and while doing so, use the index finger of your other hand to release the spring loaded catch and allow the ratchet to back off a few "catches". Repeat. Very very simple to do, and at no time did it ever feel like the bow was gonna take a free fall...

However, if this is someone's only concern, I assume a quick trip to Walmart or similar and a few bucks laid out for a moron proof ratchet (I considered this) that has an "up/down" switch would do alleviate this.
Old 05-27-2004, 09:24 AM

WWAG walked me through it, basically you put the ratchet handle back to the up position like you were gonna tighten it. Tighten it just a tad, and while doing so, use the index finger of your other hand to release the spring loaded catch and allow the ratchet to back off a few "catches". Repeat. Very very simple to do, and at no time did it ever feel like the bow was gonna take a free fall...
Like I said on the other thread..........like the press a lot !! I figured the above part myself..........but had a few hick ups and was nervous as all get out the first couple of times !

WWAG........I do think it would help to include the above info. on the instructuions ! Although after figuring it out .........I felt like a complete dumb@ss for not figuring it out in the first place ! It is so overly simple.......it's easy to over complicate !!
Old 05-27-2004, 10:01 AM

Where can you get one of these presses? Sounds like a solid deal for $75.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Email or PM WWAG, assuming he doesn't show up in this thread soon

Another nice feature about this press, if you're left handed, simply change hands and the press works with no adjustment necessary
Old 05-27-2004, 10:27 AM

Assembly starts with taking two of the metal arms, slipping 3 bolts through each, and laying them flat. The plastic tubes are then slid over the bolt. The instructions say to use cooking or other household lubricant, but I found they slid over with only relatively minor force needing applied.

Next you slip the loops of the ratchet straps over the top bolts, making sure the ratchet handle is facing up. Then slip the remaining two arms over the bolts, finger tighten the 6 nuts and you're done Takes about 2 minutes if you're inept...

They now come all put together,,, and I've got new instructions with 15 pictures They are kinda' small but they are helpful in doing some different tasks. Thanks again Range and CBM!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 AM

can't wait!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:19 PM

Good point Range, I'm very much right handed,,,, in fact, I think the only reason I have a left hand is that I'll have something to cut on with my right[:@] I just turn the press and bow, when pressed to work on the back side of the cam's cables or to position the bow and press to make the process more ergonomic. Have fun
Old 05-27-2004, 01:42 PM

WWAG-
Can we see some pics?

Quick Reply: WWAG's Bowmender Press "review"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.