Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

WWAG's Bowmender Press "review"

Old 05-28-2004, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: WWAG's Bowmender Press "review"

Nice Review RB. I was impressed with both the simplicity and depth of detail of your comments. The press looks very easy to use and yet also very durable. Can you see of any potential problems with it?

Though I have a portable and permanent press myself I could still see my picking one of these up eventually.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:08 AM

Lefty, yes it will work on all bows with the more standard "verticle" limbs. I've had an Oneida Eagle in it also I was a die hard Darton/Proline fan before I got bit by the BowTech bug and the press worked on my Maverick and Yukon. I really haven't seen a bow that I couldn't press yet
Old 05-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Review RB. I was impressed with both the simplicity and depth of detail of your comments.
Thank you... hopefully a review of your NVs will follow as soon as I'm done adjusting my bow specs

The press looks very easy to use and yet also very durable. Can you see of any potential problems with it?
Very durable and simple to operate. I have yet to imagine a single potential problem. High quality very useful item.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:05 AM

I think I'm sold. I have to get the green light from the wife/boss, but I will contact you once I cut through that red tape. As a relative novice bow hunter I have always taken my bow to the shop to have anything done to it. I definatly want to begin tinkering with my own equipment without the inconvenience of dragging it into the shop all the time. Thanks alot for all the info.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:10 AM

Removing the limbs from your bow will reqiuer a bit more "planning" Before pressing your bow to remove the limbs, I suggest to ratchet up about 4 inches of slack in the ratchet before any tension is applied to the bow's limbs. This will allow you to de-ratchet the limbs down quite a ways before the strap material starts slipping through the reel of the ratchet,, which is what should happen. When the limbs are completely relaxed,, change them out, grease limb pockets, look for cracks or what ever the reason you did this[&:]. When I'm ready to put my bow back togther, I'll snug the limbs down just slightly all the way into the limb pockets. I then put the bow into the press and then I'll align the limbs and strap in the brackets of the press. The next important thing to do is to pull all the strap material through the reel of the ratchet that you can, somewhat pressing your bow in the process and then take up strap with the ratchet to hold in place. When ratcheting the strap, you'll notice that as the material builds up in the ratchet you will loose some leverage. This is allright as long as the strap material dosen't interfere with the catch in the ratchet. Keep the material going into the ratchet smooth and even, side to side. PRESTO!!! Your bow is pressed enough to reassemble[8D] On some bows I've noticed that there is not as much preload on the limbs as others and these bows will be easier to let down all the way. BowTech bows have quite a bit of preload but haven't been a problem if steps are taken as above
Old 05-29-2004, 02:22 PM

got mine in the mail today. feels very solid while pressing the bow. i figured out what step 6 meant after getting my hand caught in the clamp while releasing, got a big laugh out of that - after it scared the $hit out of me - like oh, that's what keep pressure on the clamp handle means, duh!. did a perfect job, plenty of room to work on everything, limbs and bow were much easier to center than any other press i've used and there is absolutely no worry of the bow twisting while going under pressure. very happy. thanks wwag
Old 05-29-2004, 08:28 PM

You're very welcome Gib!!!! How did the box and packing hold up to the shipping gorillas???
Old 05-29-2004, 08:47 PM

".....after getting my hand caught in the clamp while releasing,....."

Just wondering if you have a good lawyer or manufacturer's liability insurance???[] Some don't get a"....big laugh out of that...", regretfully. [&o]
Old 05-29-2004, 10:25 PM

box held up great! a real professional packing job. thanks again, and len if you had seen it you'd have been laughing your ass off. i didn't even get a bruise, but i finally understand how those thing work.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:48 AM

Gibb: Been there done that. I'm real good at laughing at incidences like that.

I'm not trying to be a SA, it's just that some in this lifetime aren't that smart mechanically and thrive on 'making a case' out of things we'd laugh about. After all, we're dealing with an international market here on the internet. Good and bad.

Quick Reply: WWAG's Bowmender Press "review"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.