Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Twisting up the cable to shorten it

Old 05-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Twisting up the cable to shorten it

My ATA spec is 30.5" on my bow. It currently measures 31". Brace is off as well, so I want to shorten my cable to bring things back in line with spec.

However, the cable is pretty much served up to where it splits to go to the idler wheel axles. To get any significant twisting, which it seems it's going to need, I'll have a few twists above the serving where the split is.

Any problems doing so?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Twisting up the cable to shorten it

range ball
just make sure that you twist in the same direction that the serving is wound on this will make the serving tighter instead of loosening it.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got to thinking a little more what you are talking about the you can have a couple of twists up the yoke but you dont want a lot of twists up the yoke,

you may need a shorter split harness if you cant get 1/2" out of it without twisting up the yoke too much.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:19 PM

Stop and think about this one, do you really want to twist the cable in the same direction as it is served? I made the same mistake before[:@] You really need to twist the string or cable in the opposite direction that it is served to keep the servings tight, assuming that all the servings are wound the same way, which they should be.
Get that press going Range??????
Old 05-27-2004, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get that press going Range ??????
Yup... "Review" to follow today, hopefully, if all goes well, which it hasn't been...
Old 05-27-2004, 07:39 AM

I'm right there with ya Range !! [8D]

But I finally got bow straightened out.........I think ! [:-]

Everything measures right .....seems to be shooting well.......hasn't blown up .......yet !! [&:]

WWAG........like the press a lot .....although my big hands could use a little more room !!
I'm a little dense.......so I had to label my parts........but I can put it together pretty quick now and it works very well !!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

gimp
if the serving was wound clockwise and you twist the cable counter clockwise you will loosen the serving
Old 05-27-2004, 08:06 AM

I just set up my Outback with WC string/cables !!

My string/cable were twisted clockwise .....so I twisted clockwise to shorten it ! When I over twisted it.......I twisted it counterclockwise to let them back out !!

I guess I'm assuming that if the string was twisted clockwise the serving would've been twisted the opposite direction..........would it ??

Should I worry about my serving .........or are you guys talking about if you took a cable from clockwise to completely straight and then started twisting counterclockwise ? I'm just kinda confused as to how twisting will make the serving come loose !!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got to thinking a little more what you are talking about the you can have a couple of twists up the yoke but you dont want a lot of twists up the yoke,

you may need a shorter split harness if you cant get 1/2" out of it without twisting up the yoke too much.
I am concerned much more with this than the serving...

The "depth" of length of the split has nothing to do with anything other than making sure the idler has room to rotate through it, correct?

I could see a few twists in the yoke getting me to the length I need, as long as it doesn't interfere with the idler, I should be golden, right?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:48 AM

Big, take a small spring and hold it between your fingers, right hand on one end and left on the other. If it's wound with the wire going away from you (over the top), twist it to the right and you'll see that it wants to unwind. Twist it to the left and you'll see that it tightens up more. I think we're on the same page though
When making my strings. I put about 12 or 15 twists to the left in the material after serving the end loops. I then put as much tension on the string as my jig will allow (about 200 pounds) and then serve the end servings to the right (over hand away from me) and then do the idler and center servings, all the same direction. When the string is done I'll put it on the bow and check for length and if necessary, I'll put more twists in the string to the left (opposite the way the serving is applied).