Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Quick spins more effecient??

Old 05-23-2004, 06:51 AM

Default Quick spins more effecient??

So here's the scenario with the setups.

I had 8 CSX arrows that I messed around with the Turbo nocks on. Decided to fletch them with the quick spins instead of my CF extremes because I didn't want to add any weight to those for the 3d stuff.

Arrows
PSE CFs 4"duravanes @ 370 grains finished
CSX quick spins @ 410 grains finished

Bows
Patriot Dually
Martin Cougar 3 Fury cams

Ran both bows @ 3 different weights

Pat @ 50-55 and 61.5 (maxed)
Cougar @ 55-66-and 71.5 (maxed)

Now I was under the impression that a bows KE, regardless of arrow weight, wouldn't change much (all else being equal) more than 1-2.5 pounds.

I've run tons of arrows through both these bows and never got a KE change of more than 2.1 foot pounds... the heavier gaining I would guess because more energy absorption. I thought this was pretty much in direct correlation to a bows effeciency and couldn't be changed much without weight or drawlength additions. Am I O.K. so far??

But with the quick spins... 4 and change KE increase nearly across the board? Are these that much more aerodynamic and/or effecient?

I'm in the process of refletching a few of the CFs now so I can compare apples to apples but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this or if I'm on crack.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Quick spins more effecient??

How are you determining that you are gaining KE just by switching vanes? Did you pick up speed?
Old 05-23-2004, 05:39 PM

I chrony'd at listed draw weights with listed arrows. 5 shots for each category and take the median and use that for the KE formula.

The heavier quick spins are still slower @ 410 than the CF @ 370...but not as much slower as they should be is my point.

Has anyone noticed a slight increase in speed with these even though they're a bit heavier?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you chronoed the bow with say an arrow that weighs 410 grains with another brand vane, and another QS equipped arrow that weighs 410? (Fletched with the same amount of helical/offset). That might better answer your question.

I've seen up to around 4 or5 pounds difference between extremely light and heavy arrows if the cam/bow is very in/efficient with light/heavy arrows. Some of the older single cam (pre-maxcam) styles. They lobbed hevay arrows and then really picked up the speed as you got 5 GPP.