Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cam Rotation and Timing?

Old 05-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cam Rotation and Timing?

magazine weiters are normally full of crap and know absolutley nothing about the mechanics of a bow.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

So Is twisting the string while it is in timing going to affect it or not? Why would twisting the cable affect the string.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

Typically on a single cam after a while on a new cable it will stretch and that will take the cam out of the optimal position. So you need to twist up the cable to shorten it so that the cam is brought back to optimal position.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

thenuge15

let me see if I can simplify this
when the power harness stretches it will cause your draw length to become shorter and you will loose poundage and will not get full cam rotation
if your string stretches it will up the poundage and lengthen your draw and will give you more cam rotation.
either way will cause the bow toshoot off because the nocking point and peep will be in a different location.

sure you could move the peep and nocking point and have it tuned with a stretched string or harness but either way it has in effect changed your draw length and changed the rotation of your cam to some degree
which in turn has an effect on the bows preformance.
the best thing to do in such situation is to twist which ever needs to be shortened due to it stretching
this will bring every thing back to its original position

Is any of this making any sence?
I hope so because I dont know how to explain it any better[8D]
Old 05-24-2004, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigpapascout this is making sense, I understood the first time. My question is...I will be buying this bow assuming it timed out correctly. They said they could put a couple twists in the string to shorten my drawlength. Will putting twists in a bow that has proper timing cause the timing to be off from the beginning?

P.S. If both the string and harness stretch than won't they cancel eachother out?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:19 AM

You can twist/untwist both the cable and the string to get the bow both timed and shooting to exact drawlength you prefer (assuming it's close to begin with). This can take a little tinkering with a bow press to get it precise. I wouldn't do this until you've shot 100 shots or more, to settle the string. If you move too far from the normal position, it will affect maximum poundage, because limb prestress is being altered. It can also sometimes make a bow a bit noiser. You are also limited as to how far you can twist or untwist a string, so a custom string may be necessary in some cases.

Try to order the drawlength that comes as close as possible to what you need. Remember, actual drawlength and what is on the bow tag, are generally two different numbers. A mistake here, can be very expensive with a Mathews. Use a measuring arrow to get your drawlength on your current bow, if it fits well.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

by twisting up the cable to shorten the length of draw will have little effect but will decreace poundage

if both string and cable stretch equally, this will make the axle to axle length longer, shorten the brace and will decreace poundage.

the best way to get the bow right is to twist the buss cable up to the specified axle to axle length then to twist the string to the spesified draw length.

however it is not uncommon for people to play around with different cable and string lengths to where the bow suits them.

it is kind of hard to get a solo cam bow out of timing considering it only has one cam. what you have to be morer concerned with on solo cams is cam rotation, allways better a little too much than not enough IMO
that is of course me speaking as a speed freak[8D]
Old 05-24-2004, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

So when a bow is shot with the cam pulled back some because its under rotated it will not damage the bow, the cam will just stop right there and not want to go further?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

No
It will not damage the bow.