Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Cable Broke At Full Draw

Old 05-20-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Cable Broke At Full Draw

Hi, I'm new to archery, thought I would save some money and got a used High Country. Had it about 3 weeks and noticed a little bit of loose string on the cable. No problem, I put a lil dab of super-glue on there and kept shooting. Today while shooting, that sucker blew up on me! I was holding at full draw while my wife was talking to me from the window and KAPOW! I wound up with a big bruise on my left hand, and had to go find all the loose pieces scattered all over my back yard. I recovered everyting but the cable-guard which was split in half (only found one half). I guess my question is, do I have to replace my cable only or the string too? The string seems to be pretty much intact, but there are a FEW little frayed spots on it. I'm gonna have it done at a pro-shop in a few days. Just thought I would get some opinions from you kind folks. Thanks, Robert
Old 05-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Cable Broke At Full Draw

You better have it checked out by an expert before you have a string and cable made for it because you very well may need to replace the limbs or the entire bow. If that thing blew up like you described you probably got a lot bigger problems than a broken cable.

If everything checks out then replace both the string and cable. I always replace them as a set.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:35 PM

Ouch! Bet that got your attention[:@] You should take your bow to a pro shop that can find out the lengths of the string and cable and replace both at the same time. If he's a good bow mechanic, he'll check ATA and brace and peak weight while setting the proper cam rotation. You'll be good to go then
Old 05-21-2004, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you should definitely consider having the string and cable replaced in addition to having the entire bow looked over thoroughly by an archery shop professional. All that excess energy released from the bow exploding could have caused potential damage on the various bow components.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:41 AM

I just wanted to add, that you should never shoot with a broken strand or a badly frayed string. Many of the newer string materials contain a large amount of Vectran and can break very suddenly. In fact, general maintenance should include changing the string and cables once each year, whether you think the bow needs them, or not. You not only risk damage to the bow, but serious injury to yourself.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I might add that you may want to call the manufacturer ask if you can send the bow back for a full inspection. That's what I would do. They should have all of the proper equipment to do a full inspection, I would have the most confidence in the bow after that.
Old 05-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

the bow dont need to be sent to the factory a compitent pro shop can check the bow out to see if there is any dammage.
if there is any dammage it will be likely a bent axle/bushing/cam dammage, cracked limb.

never shoot any bow with a frayed Harness or string on any bow.
this is a perfect example of what can happen!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:04 AM

I guess my question is, do I have to replace my cable only or the string too? The string seems to be pretty much intact, but there are a FEW little frayed spots on it
LOL

Just dap some glue on it - worked before[8D]

I would think you learned a bit after that experience
Old 05-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something nobody has pointed out, but a frayed/broken string or cable after 3 weeks??? someting isn't right here, either the cable came messed up or you have some serious contact issues or a sharp edge somewhere and will just eat through the next set as well.

--Bob
Old 05-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quick Reply: Cable Broke At Full Draw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.