Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Finally shot a Liberty........and a ???

Old 05-19-2004, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Finally shot a Liberty........and a ???

Do you think the string supressors take some of the vibration going through the riser ? I guess I have just thought of them affecting string noise !!
String noise is cause by string vibration - and yes I think it makes its way to the riser.

its the limbs and the string that cause most of felt vibration. Thats why limb savers and leaches can take most of it away.

Don't worry about bashing - you felt vibration and I believe you. My point is that just a small change (like sliding a leach or squid up an inch can completly take it away. A string vibrates in a sign wave. If the string supressors happen to be place at a "node" they will not work as well. And many other factors can come into play to cause any one bow to have more vibration than another.

Its just hard to get a full feel of a bow with a few shots - without making sure apples are being compared to apples.

Good luck with the Outback
Old 05-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know BowTech says otherwise, but IMO the VBs (or Limbsavers) work best towards the axle side where the limb just starts to thicken up. It will have a little less recoil & vibe when placed there. But I do believe they are a bit quieter when the damping material (VB) is closer to the pocket).
Old 05-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got to read all of the replies to this message. Man, I figured my comment and CBM's would cause some commotion in the Bowtech faithful crowd here. I was referring to recoil mostly, but it did rattle some during the shot when I shot it. Not sure of the timing thing but I couldn't imagine Bowtech would ship a brand new bow way out of whack to cause it. The bow wanted to really jump out of my hand during the shot. I realize that placement of the vibration damping thingy's Bowtech uses can affect this to an extent, but wow!

After shooting it, the Vipertec and the Xtec. I can honestly say, bare bow, he Vipertec had the least vibration and recoil. I didn't shoot the Mathews bows after pulling one back. Not for me.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Three words when it comes to testing bows and finding no hand shock--

MERLIN MAX XTREME.

There is virtually none in this offering. And also--- this bow has no vast array of Sims products on it like so many other bows do this year. Hmmm, wonder how it will be AFTER all of the "bolt-on" stuff is on it?

Think---If the manufacturers of the conventional solocams felt they could for one minute get away with NOT installing all of the extra vibration-reducing goodies on their bows stock from the factory, (especially while the archery public is very critical of any handshock or recoil) don't you think they would save their money and do so? Of course! But with the dynamic balance of most Conventional solos today being what it is, well, you are just going to get that recoil "kick", and handshock with all of them to some degree, even with parallel design. Thus we see all of this stuff with NV systems and other vibration gizmos sticking out from every angle and nook and cranny, along with leeches, limbsavers, blocks, wraps, etc, on many of the offerings this year. Interesting to note that most all of them are conventional solos too. Hmmm.

Speaking of parallel design, all current manufacturers of parallel designs may soon be "scrambling" from what I hear through the grapevine ---word has it XI (now owned by Escalade Sports) is looking at patent infringment because of a clause in one of their patents from when they made the flatliner series of bows stating something about limb pocket angle. If true then that would be a huge "coup" for them, and the payoff dollar value(behind the scenes of course) would be enormous---think of how many parallel limb bows have been sold in the past decade that they could get a piece of![]

Anyway, that is just rumor at this point....back to the post...

I dunno if it is because the Max-Xtreme has paraBOLIC instead of paraLLEL limbs, or simply due to the geomtery in the overall design of the bow and cam system, combo of both, or what-- but if you haven't shot one, you really need to before claiming these other bows are the "Best".....while admittedly "good", there are better choices than just the "popular" conventional solocams that everyone knows about. Others have stated above that the hoyt with cam.5 is very quiet, and I've noticed the Dartons with their CPS do not have all of the extra vibration gizmos on them either.....HMMMMM. Better dynamic balance due to the cams being symmetrical, and limbtip travel being consistent MAY just have more to do with vibration and/or lack of it than one thinks? JMHO. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 05-20-2004, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was talking about handshock.........not re-coil ! "A lot" is not the right word maybe..........but more than I would have expected out of a VFT style bow !
I think we are on the same page just different terms.

But now that you mention it........I think the vibra-blocks were all the way up by the limb pockets ! If they are farther back up the limb......does it make much of a difference ??
Yes. I did a little experimenting last night and there is a noticeable buzz/change in pitch as the vibrablocks are moved down towards the limb pockets.

We must have been watching the same TV show cause I seen that too and did experiment on my BK.
We must have been.

could you please tell me what the settings on the vibrablocks, could or may have on the speed of the bow if any, it appears when a bow is test shoot they have nothing on them but an knocking point?
I have not tested to see if moving the vibrablocks up and down the limbs have any effect on speed though my guess, initially, would be "no" and if they do then it would be insignificant....1-2 fps tops. Heck, Bowtech advertises a 3-5 fps speed loss with the entire hush kit installed and my guess is that those 3-5 fps are mostly from the squidees on the string/cable.

Yes, most companies use a tied-in nockset to test the speed rating for their bows. Bowtech has a nice little chart in the owners manual that clearly explains expected speed loss due to various string accessories, changes in arrow weight, etc....

just got to read all of the replies to this message. Man, I figured my comment and CBM's would cause some commotion in the Bowtech faithful crowd here
I think a vast majority of the Bowtech crowd realize that no bow is perfect and can thus accept some of the potential deficiencies for their particular model. That is one of the reasons they probably choose to shoot them in the first place......having the intelligence and understanding to understand compound bow technology and design. ...at least in my case....
Old 05-20-2004, 05:36 AM

Yes. I did a little experimenting last night and there is a noticeable buzz/change in pitch as the vibrablocks are moved down towards the limb pockets.
That's why I asked this question !! I didn't feel like people would be making the comparison's they are ......if all the Liberty's felt like the one I shot.....the way it was set up ! Figured that something had to be up !! Thanks for clearing it up !!
Old 05-20-2004, 08:19 AM

MERLIN MAX XTREME.

There is virtually none in this offering. And also--- this bow has no vast array of Sims products on it like so many other bows do this year. Hmmm, wonder how it will be AFTER all of the "bolt-on" stuff is on it?
Not to bash heads or make this a product war but.......

again, you can't really compare the Max Xtreme - when its 15 to 20 fps slower than the other bows we are speaking of.

A fine bow the Max is. But if it where doing 315fps like the Patriot or LX - then maybe Merlin would need to add some "Sims stuff" to it.

Just my thoughts
Old 05-20-2004, 10:57 AM

Just one question, how can "limb tip travel" not be consistent??[&:]
Old 05-20-2004, 11:27 AM

just got to read all of the replies to this message. Man, I figured my comment and CBM's would cause some commotion in the Bowtech faithful crowd here
Mose of us "BowTech faithful" realize that opinions can't be argued, if they aren't biased. Got a death grip on your bow? You'll "feel " more shock and vibration on any bow you shoot, compaired to a relaxed and open handed push against the grip that allows the bow to move forward at the shot. Good luck with your's
Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Rack-

Honestly, I can compare any bow I choose, just as you can dispute them....and 15-20 fps isn't going to make a world of difference in a bow that has awesome geometry IMHO. Shoot the Max-Xtreme with a IBO legal arrow at any poundage, and for that matter even one 40 grains light at the same poundage, and you can get a good idea of what kind of shock level will be coming out of it when it is faster....I've done it, still nothing. Merlin bows are not about speed, they are about precise accuracy and forgiveness. The bow was made specifically with bowhunting in mind, and bowhunting is about exact shot placement at known distances, (usually less than 40 yds) so speed is not a factor--- but quiet, smooth drawing characteristics, no vibration, no recoil, and decent brace height, along with confidence in your equipment are.

WWAG--

Yes, different bows can have vastly differing limbtip travel, and this can cause a variety of affects on holding, followthrough, and ultimately accuracy---slap your favorite bow in a crankboard, run it out to full draw, pencil around the limbtips. Back it down halfway, pencil again. Measure between the two sets of marks on each end---are they the same? If not, then you have inconsistent limbtip travel, and this is the result of poor dynamic balance and more often than not, you will notice a "kick" which is really unneccessary if designed correctly. If you don't believe me, ask Norb Mullaney, Larry Wise, or Emery Loiselle (now retired) about Dynamic balance, consistent limbtip travel, and their relation with vibration, recoil, shooting characteristics, and accuracy. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Quick Reply: Finally shot a Liberty........and a ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.