Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Muzzy Question?

Old 05-09-2004, 07:13 PM

Default Muzzy Question?

Deffinately not a complaint.

Anyhow, I was flipping through my new Cabela's Archery catalogue and was thinking, what is the real difference between a 3 and 4 blade head?

Right now I'm shooting the 3 blade 100 grain heads, but I was wondering whether or not I should try a 4 blade.

What's the difference?
Is there a difference in cutting diameter/penetration?
Will 4 blade create more of a hinderance?
How is the stability during flight of a 4 blade?
Will I get just as many pass throughs?
Is it worth trying them out, or should i just stick with the 3 blades?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzy Question?

Basically the 4 blade just gives you another cutting surface. Usually wont be the difference between a dead deer and a wound, but its nice to have if you can get them to fly.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:23 AM

Dan,
I was having a real problem getting my Thunderhead 100's to fly like my target tips and a buddy of mine had some 4 blade Muzzy's in camp this past year. I tried a couple and they shot right on the money. When we went to town all I could find were the 3 blade 100's so I picked up a 3 pack. The 3 blades did the same thing as my Thunderheads so my buddy graciously sold me some of his 4 blades.
My arrows were not tuned on an arrow spinner, I just lined up the blades with my vanes. I think the 4 blades are a little more forgiving if your arrow isn't tuned perfectly. This year I will be spinning all of my broadhead shafts, and shooting the 4 blades. There is no excuse for not spinning your hunting shafts, I have learned this the hard way.
As for penetration, I shot a nice Blacktail buck at about 12 yards that was looking directly at me, the arrow hit between the neck and the shoulder (I had held as long as I could waiting for him to turn) and was length wise through him. The broadhead went all of the way through the hind quarter but did not penetrate the hide. For a length wise shot I thought they did an excellent job. I will be shooting them from now on.
The best part is that you can pick up 3 packs at Wal-Mart for $15 during the season, and after hunting season comes to a close, they sell them off for $7. I picked up 4 packs for less than the price of a 6 pack of Thunderheads, and they come with practice blades too.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:21 AM

Yes the four blade Muzzey is smaller than the three blade muzzy.
In general the smaller the broadhead, the easier it gets to tune.
In general the slower the bow the easier it gets to tune.

For example it would be easier to tune a bow at 260 feet per second and a smaller broadhead. It is more diffucult to tune a 295 feet per second bow and a large broadhead.

That is one reason the smaller broadheads are getting popular is that people are figureing out that it is easier to tune on a faster rig..