Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Truglo Tritium Sight Pin... Don't bother

Old 02-20-2002, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Truglo Tritium Sight Pin... Don't bother

Finally used my gift certificate and received my TFO tritium powered site pin from Cabelas.
Seems well built, fiber optic is green,things were looking good. The ultimate test? I turned off all the lights in my windowless office and shut the door, total darkness. Big disappointment followed. I had expected the fiber to glow prominently. What it did was glow just enough so that if I strained my eyes I could see it. I don't think you'd see it if looking through a string peep. I was sure I had a defective one, so I called Truglo. They said no, that's all it does. At $25 I expected much more. I'll probably keep it, to test it in real world conditions as I wanted a new sight pin anyway, but who knows. If you're interested in this pin, beware what your expectations are...
Old 02-20-2002, 01:07 PM

Default RE: Truglo Tritium Sight Pin... Don't bother

Try it outdoors, I find that pins react better to the suns UV rays, even at night, the ambients of the stars and moon will make it glow more then indoor lighting. You also have to remember you won't be hunting in pitch black, and the low light hours that you will be hunting in will probably create enough dawn or dusk light, that the pin will glow like crazy. Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 02-20-2002, 01:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with you #55 recurve. I don't have the new tru-glow pin, but I do know that they need some sort of natural light. I shoot indoors a lot and use the new high efficiency type light that they sell at home depot. It costs around $20, but they will light up the fibre optics where incandescent won't.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:53 PM

work great in hunting!!! you can sure see it in low light not disapoint at all with it
Old 02-21-2002, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I should clarify, I am not disappointed with the performance of the fiber optic aspect of this pin, but rather I expected more from the tritium enhancement. In natural light, the fiber optic shows up clearly. I was disappointed with how dim the tritium appeared in total darkness, as it's supposed to enhance the fiber in low light. Time will tell how it performs during legal shooting hours next fall...
Old 02-21-2002, 04:59 PM

Rangeball,
I have personally tested the tritium pin in the same manner you did. Although I did not see a HUGE difference, it was a considerable amount, in my opinion. I held a tritium pin up next to a regular fiber optic pin, and I can even see a difference in the daytime.
Although there was a considerable differnce, I DID NOT think that purchasing this pin would allow me to shoot later/earlier in the darkness. Hence, I did not buy it.
Honestly, the best thing I ever did to increase my shooting time was to change peeps to a slightly larger hole size. I THINK that I currently shoot the Tru Peep in the 1/8" size. It allows me shoot ALMOST up until I can no longer see the deer period. I have found that even if you use a lighted sight pin, you still can't see the target when it gets that late!
Old 02-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

I used a tritium pin last season and actually found that I had more trouble with it when it was really light out,do to the housing around the color I suppose, I Thought it was awesome right at dark, I used it as my 20 yd pin and the other pins on the sight were f/o's, at times I couldn't even see the 2 f/o pins and the tritium was glowing, I do think there's a pretty fine line as to when the price is worth the difference, if it's that dark I probably shouldn't be shooting.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

That pin works better in hunting situations in low light, but that is NOT a true tritium pin. I've used a tritium pin for hunting for over 10 years, and you don't need to be outside, or have natural light, to see it.

In fact, with the pin I use, if you place your bow 20' away, you can see the tritium dot. It is large for a pin, but for a 20 yarder it works great, in low light you only see the fine, smaller, chamber for the tritium gas, making it very precise.

I'm not advocating shooting after hours, but some guys were bragging at a local archery shop a few years ago about night hunting with a tritium pin 4-5 hours after legal shooting light, with a bait pile and snow. They could see if the deer had lots of antler against the snow, and could shoot because of the tritium pin.

I guess if it's good enough for poachers 4 hours after dark, it's good enough for me anytime within legal shooting hours.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan

Old 02-22-2002, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff,

What brand if pins were these, and where can you get them?
Old 02-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I'm pretty sure I know the pins you're referring to. I had looked at them prior to the TFO pin release from truglo, but I only use one pin on my hunting rig, and the pin was a little big for my liking. I get what you're saying though... with the Truglo TFO pin, the tritium is used soley to light up the FO, not actually used as the pin.

Quick Reply: Truglo Tritium Sight Pin... Don't bother

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.