Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Arrow's

Old 04-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Arrow's

I just ordered a dozen Gold Tip 3D pro's ,what I need to know is with my BowTech Patriot Dually 60# madel should I go with 3" vanes or 4 " vane's and whyis one better than the other?

nubo
Old 04-28-2004, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Arrow's

John.

vane size really depends on what you want to do with the set up.
If just target then go with the 3"

But for mainly a hunting bow go with the 4" for better stability with broad heads.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

How long are your arrows? A long arrow "28" or longer " will require a longer fletch , especialy if you shoot fixed broadheads , ie 5" vanes or feathers .
Old 04-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with both of the above comments. If you are going the hunting route then a 4 inch fletch or larger is generally needed usually depending on a variety of factors including broadhead style. If just for target with field points then 3 inch fletch is more than adequate.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I just got done tuning a set of GT 3D pros myself on a Patriot. My arrow is 27" long, and I opted for 5" feathers. Overkill? Perhaps, but my goal is to shoot a single arrow that shoots 3-D and hunts equally well.

Although I haven't done so yet with this particular arrow, based on prior experience I should be able to screw in a fixed broadhead and shoot identicvally to field tips. The large fletching helps this happen.

Same as above........if its a target arrow, shoot 3 inchers........if its a combo arrow go with atleast 4 inch fletching.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:57 PM
CWB

Nubo, I guess you got the new Patriot Dually up and shooting! I shoot one too and love it! I have always shot 4"-5" vanes or feathers all my life (shooting 29 years) I tried some 3" vanes in this past month (playing around in the off season) for the first time in my shooting career and I am impressed very much with them. They fly like darts and they seems to group better at close and longer yardages for me. I am thinking that the smaller vanes are holding there shape better than the larger ones and that seems to be making them more consistent. I have read where alot guys use 3" vanes for hunting with mechanicals (which I shoot) so I thought I would give them a try for the heck of it. Now I think I am hooked on them! Give the 3" vanes a try and see what you think. You might be suprised!
Old 04-28-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nubo, I'm shooting 3" feathers out of the Patriot at over 300 fps and they shoot and group great. I may even try them for hunting with my mechanicals. BTW, my arrow length is 29" and I shoot a right helical on them (at least as much as you can get out of a 3" feather on a carbon shaft). As a bonus there is virtually no feather "hiss" with them either. Try the 3", I think you'll like them.
Old 04-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Generally you can get away with 1" less length in feathers compared to vanes for "Steerage". More drag and quicker recovery with feathers apples to apples.

For mech heads, 3"vanes are OK, and 3" feathers are great, epecially in full helical (they clear fairly easy even on a non-dropaway rest). I shoot 3" feathers in a RH for some of my set-ups. And like Mike said, they are much quieter.

However, For fixed blade heads, definitely the bigger the better. Amazing what 5" offset or helical feathers can do for unruly or high speed fixed blade broadhead flight.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Guy's I've already decided on the 4" right helical since I'll be using them for both hunting and 3D .I've been using 3" right helical in the past but I decided it wouldn't hurt to try them in 4" ,if I don't like them then next time I'll go to the 3" Feather.As I've stated in the past I like to try different gear all the time ,I think this can only benefit me in the long run .If you don't try it then you'll never know for sure .Thank's for the advice and I'll take all your comment's into consideration in the future.

nubo

P.S. Today I got my new digital camera and as soon as I figure it out I'll get some pic's posted of my bow and some of my hunting area's .
Old 04-29-2004, 12:06 AM

nubo and others,
I was shown a great free program for sharing pics online. Do a search for Pic2Mail on google, and you will get it. It shrinks a 1.3 meg pic to a 30k pic with little to no loss of quality, at least for online and email. I doubt you would want to print them, but great for sites like this.

Barbera from GKF sent me the link when I sent them a photo.

JMAC