Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Serving question

Old 04-27-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Serving question

I just received a string from a custom string maker to replace the D75 that was on there. It's 8125. The center serving direction is opposite the direction the string is twisted, as is the end serving. All the serving goes counter clockwise, and the string goes clockwise, as the string goes from top to bottom. I called the guy and he insists this is the correct way, and how he makes all of them. I never heard of anybody doing it this way, when I serve a bow, it's always the direction of the string twist. This is a somewhat well known string maker, but this is new to me? Is there any good reason to serve in the opposite direction of the string, does anybody else do this
Old 04-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Serving question

My guess would be that as any string stretches it stretches in the direction of the twist. By installing the serving in the opposite direction you reduce the chances that the serving will either slip or separate.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:28 PM

That's exactly what he told me when I called. I was always under the impression you serve in the same direction, so that when it stretches after the brek in period, and you twist the string to get it back to lenth, if tightens the serving.
The only reason I even noticed was because the serving separated after about 50 shots at the bottomof my string loop. I rotated my loop to lower my nocking point, and the serving just bunched up below the knot, it was so loose. Seems strange to me, this was the first I ever heard of putting it on in the opposite direction. But I'm no techie, so I figured I'd ask before I reserve it
Old 04-28-2004, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

One thing I did on my bow was to add a 4-5 inch serving over the existing serving where the string rolls over the module. I used .018" serving material and it didn't prohibitively increase the diameter of the string, but it has protcected the string itself.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why don't you try reserving it in the same direction to, again, see if it separates. You already know what happens when it is served in the opposite direction.