Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

hoyt x-tec problem HELP????

Old 04-25-2004, 07:15 AM

Default hoyt x-tec problem HELP????

I just purchased a new hoyt x tec. 60-70 lb. The shop I purchased it at did not have my draw length in 60-70lb. They took they cams strings and cables from a 50-60lb bow and put on my 70lb bow. Problem... My bow will only max out at 64 lbs. does anyone know what could have caused this and how to fix it. I have shot it about 100 times. Thanks for any input
Old 04-25-2004, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hoyt x-tec problem HELP????

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like those string and cable lengths are wrong. I"m not positive, but taking cams and strings from a 50-60 pounder and putting them on a 60-70 pounder will throw everything out of whack.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:48 AM
Typical Buck

If the bow they took the cams and strings off of was not the same model as the X-Tec you bought, then there is a very good possibility they screwed up. For example a Razortec at 29" will have different length string and cables even though the cam sizes are the same as an X-Tec at 29"
If the two bows were not identical (i.e. Both X-Tecs) then you need to take the bow back to the shop and have them A) Order you the correct bow, or B) Order the correct cams and strings for your existing bow. In either case 64# from a 70# bow is not correct.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-03-2004, 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the help. I have noticed that you are more likely to get responces on here if you are popular or have alot of posts. But to everyone who did respond thank you very much and I did get the problem fixed.
The cables had untwisted during the switch. My dealer had just got in an x tec identical to mine. So we were able to compare the two and the string cables and cams were the same. The pro decided to add some twists to the cable and checked some other thing for me. Thanks again everyone...ash
Old 05-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoyt's limb deflections are designed to match a specific cam size on each bow.

E.g. Cam size 5 will require X deflection limbs to make 70 pounds. Cam size 5 will need Y deflection limbs to make 80 and Z to make a 60 pound peak.

If you switch to a number 4 or number 6 cam (even with appropriate string and cable lengths), it will cause a change in peak poundage, as that cam size was matched at the factory with the proper limbs to make a particular weight.

Twisting strings or cables to gain back or lose poundage is not the solution as this will throw the bow out of spec by altering the position of the cams, thus affecting limb pre-load, brace height, AtoA , etc.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:28 PM

Jeff your killing me. I thought I had the problem fixed and know you tell me this. I do appreciate the responce though, I want to get this fixed right, and I am assuming that it is not fixed properly know. I am have get rid of it and get me a b.... bo...... bowtech??????Thanks again for the reply Jeff
Old 05-03-2004, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ash2042

Jeff your killing me. I thought I had the problem fixed and know you tell me this. I do appreciate the responce though, I want to get this fixed right, and I am assuming that it is not fixed properly know. I am have get rid of it and get me a b.... bo...... bowtech??????Thanks again for the reply Jeff
Ash

Sorry Hard for me to say if it's fixed properly or not since I cannot see the bow in question but it sounds like they just twisted the cables up to gain more peak weight from your description. Most likely then they will have to shorten your draw length at the module to get you back where you were.

Your problem is not who made the bow..Hoyt makes a phenomenal product! It sounds simply like the shop may not be aware of the way Hoyts limb deflections and cams work.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:58 PM

Jeff is right. If you switch out the cams you have to switch out the limbs as well.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:07 PM

Ash, Jeff is right the deflection of the limb has to match the cam size to=LBS and draw length if you can let me know cam size, and all string length's and your draw i can tell you if your bow is right. You purchased a world class bow and needs to be right let me know Bulldog1