Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Optimal ke/trajectory question

Old 04-26-2004, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Optimal ke/trajectory question

Mike we are shooting almost identical setups, as far as weight and speed, also we are shooting the same bow and draw length. I am shooting 3-71 ACCs and my arrow weight is 444 gr. I haven't done any tinkering with different arrow weights but it did seem like that particular weight and speed combo was going to be the best of both worlds.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:09 PM

BTW, you were wondering how my bow shoots at 287 fps, here's a pic of a combination 20 and 30 yard group I shot while shooting one pin to get the idea of how the trajectory is on this bow. This was a 390 grain arrow at 308 fps.
Mike, I'm not sure if you are saying you were holding the pin on the same spot, or not, but an arrow going 310 fps will drop from 5 to 6 inches, between 20 and 30 yards distance. This amount of drop will remain virtually the same, regardless of the arrow weight. The trajectory at close range is the same for all arrows traveling 308 fps. The only slight differences occurs at longer distances, when variations in drag and K.E., cause one arrow to slow quicker then another.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buckfevr

Damn nice group!!! You shooting one pin for hunting?
Yep, I've only shot one pin for hunting for years.

Mike, I'm not sure if you are saying you were holding the pin on the same spot, or not, but an arrow going 310 fps will drop from 5 to 6 inches, between 20 and 30 yards distance. This amount of drop will remain virtually the same, regardless of the arrow weight. The trajectory at close range is the same for all arrows traveling 308 fps. The only slight differences occurs at longer distances, when variations in drag and K.E., cause one arrow to slow quicker then another.
As best I could tell with a .029 pin at 30 yards on a circle that small, I was holding on the same spot. I guess since the circle was basically covered by the pin, it's feasible to say there may have been some variance (holdover) involved, but I wasn't obviously holding over 5-6" though.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:59 PM

I'm not sure if you are saying you were holding the pin on the same spot, or not, but an arrow going 310 fps will drop from 5 to 6 inches, between 20 and 30 yards distance. This amount of drop will remain virtually the same, regardless of the arrow weight. The trajectory at close range is the same for all arrows traveling 308 fps. The only slight differences occurs at longer distances, when variations in drag and K.E., cause one arrow to slow quicker then another.

WITH ALL THAT SAID DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT MY TERMINATOR 60-75'S WEIGHING 426 WILL SHOOT THE SAME AT 20 AND 30 AS MY CX 300'S WEIGHING 360. I'M DRAWING 62 LBS. 28 IN. DRAW WITH 27 IN. ARROWS.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

WITH ALL THAT SAID DO YOU GUYS THINK THAT MY TERMINATOR 60-75'S WEIGHING 426 WILL SHOOT THE SAME AT 20 AND 30 AS MY CX 300'S WEIGHING 360. I'M DRAWING 62 LBS. 28 IN. DRAW WITH 27 IN. ARROWS.
Shoot the same in terms of point of impact? Accuracy? or Consistancy?

I think that there will be a drop in inches when comparing the two arrow weights you mentioned. Another inch or two at least.