Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

3D arrow suggestions

Old 04-22-2004, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 3D arrow suggestions

Can someone suggest a 3D only arrow for me? I shoot 27" length. 65lbs with 28" drawlength. The reason why I'm looking for a 3D shaft... Anyone shoot their Axis into a 3D target? Holy crap, they are tough to yank out. I finally got my 3D targets out and flung a couple at it last night and I was played out from trying to get them out of it.

I need something lightweight as I want to get flatter trajectory. With the Axis, I'm at about 385-390 total weight.

Suggest some!
Old 04-22-2004, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 3D arrow suggestions

I think Matt/PA and Buck Magnet occasionally shoot those Carbon Express CXLs. They are a wider shaft which should reduce penetration issues to some extent though I believe they are as light as most other ICS carbons.

Either that or some slick lube....
Old 04-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a little surprised that you are having trouble with the Axis and 3D targets. I found them much easier to pull out than my ACCs. I do have a slightly larger field point on them. My Axis 400's are 17/64, and the points are 9/32. They pulled easily enough that I stopped putting soap on the front part of the arrow.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:57 AM

I use the CXL's and everyday ordinary ArmorAll.

27" 150's w/ 100gr tip =305 grains.

-Chief
Old 04-22-2004, 03:16 PM

Maybe Easton Lightspeed 400's

7.41gpi
Old 04-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzy,
I do shoot CXL's as Frank mentioned and I can say with 100% that they SUCK to pull out as well.
The trick with ANY carbon shaft in a foam 3D target is to have a point that is of a larger diameter than your shaft. The point plows a hole and prevents the friction which bonds the foam to your shaft.
"They" don't make one big enough in 75grs for my CXL 350's so I rely on Woody's Arrow lube. No lube and it's bust a gut central.

Get yourself some "Pig Points" or "Z-Points" or whatever some of the other styles are called......plus maybe some Woody's and you'll thank me.

As for 3D shafts? The Axis might be a bit heavy and SKINNY for a competitive 3D shaft. I do Like the CXL "Selects" and have had very good luck with them. The large diameter is a big plus with hitting those lines. I shoot the 350's thankfully because the 250's are very fragile shafts. I have seen a huge difference in durability between the 350 and 250 shafts. (I shot a CXL 350 through my garage wall unscathed....don't ask.)

If you simply want to shoot for fun.......just shoot your Axis and get the game time practice. Swap out the points and have at it.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second the Easton Lightspeeds. They are a lot tougher than I thought they would be and they are light. Of course if you want really light you could always shoot the High Country arrows at I believe 5.5 gpi. That's the lightest I have seen yet. Don't know how durable they are though.

As far as tips for carbons/3D targets are concerned I saw THESE while in Bass Pro the other day. There is a typo on the webisite it says $5.99 for a 3 pack, but they actually come in a package of 6. Still pricey though.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I though of just trying a standard sized tip on the axis. I am going to start putting money aside next year for a strictly comp bow, but funds are kinda short right now. So, I just wanna make do with what I have this summer. I'll give that a whirl.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Muzzy, ask me why I went back to Aluminum. Your setup would most likely be X7 2312 with 50gr hot-tips and feathers on the rear end. Come to think of it you might want vanes on the back and little point weight just to get legal. I've been shooting 2212's, 27" at 60# and they only weigh 309gr. OK, so they're not as durable as carbon. But neither are my shoulders. I've had guys tell me they'd pull mine all day long. And that's without any lube on them.
Just my experience but most of the Carbon Express are the worst to pull.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the CXL 150 Selects for all ASA and IBO 3D comp, shooting 26 inch draw 54lbs
I find them extremely easy to pull from Rinehart 3D targets, My husband also shoots them at 28 in draw 65lbs and his are also very easy to pull from Rinehart 3D targets.
The arrow is a light thin walled shaft that has a wide diameter ( they are great for catching lines when shooting 3D) they have a good strightness and grain weight.
I do find them much tougher to pull from McKenzie Targets and thats when I lube my arrows, I use PAM COOKING SPRAY ( Garlic Butter Flavor )[8D] and spray the foam in my lube tube with it until the foam is saturated, it works great for me

The new Gold Tip Ultra Lite series of arrows are doing well for many 3D Comp Archers this year also.

Quick Reply: 3D arrow suggestions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.