Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Totally new to sport. Need advice of any kind.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Totally new to sport. Need advice of any kind.

[&o]Hey. I just started bowhunting last fall and I'm hooked. I love it. Recently relocated from Oklahoma to South Texas and found a good bow shop and archery club. I have so many questions I don't know where to start. I am wondering if I can use this bow for both target shooting and hunting or if I am going to have to get two different set ups. Also, how does a person go about getting somewhere to hunt in a new area. Again, I am just getting started and would appreciate any advice I can get.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Totally new to sport. Need advice of any kind.

First off ,welcome to the board ratherbebowhunting,this is a fine place and alot of good info is available.And welcome to the wonderful world of bowhunting.The current setup you have now will be fine for bow hunting and target shooting.Actually the best to practice with is your hunting bow because you will know it in side out when the time comes for a shot at the trophy buck.Play with your bow and really get to know it at the target range and dont be afraid to ask anyone at the pro-shop questions and help on learning the fundamentals of archery.Don't forget also to sight it in with broadheads before the season starts.
I find the best way to get permission to hunt new land is to dress respectivly and ask a few land owners very politely for permission,offer to lend them a helping hand when the time is needed .Tell him you will respect his land as it was your own and 9 times out of 10 you will get the go ahead.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, welcome to the best sport going! The best advice I can give you is to make sure that your bow fits you well. I've seen too many people shooting too high of poundage and too long of a draw length get discouraged because its either "work" to shoot or they are not accurate enough because its not fitting them well.

Take up residence on this forum! Since I've been here, I've grown by leaps and bounds thanks to the great people and their knowledge that is shared here.

The bow you have, its your baby. Get to know it as well as you can. It'll do fine for both target and hunting and as already stated, its probably best to shoot it all year long. Eventually, you might want to look into a seperate target bow if you want to get real serious about competitive shooting, but its not at all necessary.

Quality accesories goes a long way too. Spend as much as you can afford on good components. If you're confident in your equipement, you can worry about shooting and not if your equipement if failing or out of whack.

Most of all......have fun and welcome to the sport!!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

1. Freeze your credit card
2. Do a block on Ebay
3. Run away while there's still time.

Old 04-20-2004, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

....Matt. Good advice though if you do not want to be in the doghouse on a regular basis.

Welcome to the forums. Maybe I missed something somewhere but what is your current setup...bow, sight, rest, arrows, etc... For the average shooter one bow is just fine to shoot target and hunt with. When you get intensely into the sport then you might consider buying a bow exclusively for one activity or another.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:48 AM

Welcome aboard
And as Matt has stated,you have found a very very addictive site..
Becareful or you'll end up with another bow or two as me ..
Dam i'm addicted ..]
enjoy,lots of good things here..
Have Fun..
Bill
Old 04-20-2004, 09:44 PM

Thanks for the welcome. How do you find landowners? One thing I didn't mention is that I'm a woman. Do you think that matters?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:48 PM

I shoot a 04 Hoyt Ultra Mag. Trophy taker drop away rest. Carbon arrows with 100 grain target tips. I pull about 55lbs,29in draw not bad for a girl I guess. I use a release. Cobra sidewinder sight. I think that is my biggest problem. I'm not real fond of the sight. Thanks for the welcome.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:24 PM

No it doesn't really matter at all just make sure your bow fits you well. What is your specific complaint with the sight. I have always shot Tru-Glo and although they are sometimes fairly difficult to adjust once they are in I love it. I have heard really good things about Copper Deadnuts (I don't have the name right but for some reason it escapes me right now, it is something similar though).
Old 04-22-2004, 01:27 PM

It was Copper John Dead Nuts

Quick Reply: Totally new to sport. Need advice of any kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.