Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Totally new to sport. Need advice of any kind.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:08 PM

Default RE: Totally new to sport. Need advice of any kind.

Welcome!!!
Your setup will work fine for anything you will find on Texas, animal or target. As for the sight, you just need to find what you like and fits you. If there is one constant in archery, it is a very personal thing. One persons "best ever" may be something you won't even consider. Take all equipment selection advise, of which you will get plenty, with a grain of salt and shoot what you feel comforable with.

As far as landowner permission, that is the tricky part. One thing is on the large open areas, drive the roads and see if there are folks out feeding cattle or mending fences. This can be a great start. As for being a women, please don't take this the wrong way, but I may actually help you gain access. I would guess a female hunter would be "trusted" a little more, at least on first impressions. Just my opinion though.

JMAC
Old 04-22-2004, 04:57 PM

welcome to the board!!! lets see your in south texas looking to hunt .....hmmmmmm start on HOGS!!!! you got plenty of hunting sport there in texas to cut your teeth at!!!!!!poor mans grizzly fun to hunt hard to hit harder to recover will get your blood pumping.... your setup will handle them with no problem..... you will have a blast i'm going next month during the full moon so i can hunt all night outside of San marcos TX.[8D] Man I love hog hunting over deer!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:56 PM

would appreciate any advice I can get.
Don't buy a Ford, or cheer for the Longhorns!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:08 PM

I drive an Excursion and have a longhorns cover on my cell phone. Anything else?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:11 PM

I am actually really excited about the hog hunting opportunities. My husband is in the oil field, he's already found me a hog hunting place. Where is the kill zone on one of those ugly animals? How do you hunt them compared to say white tail or turkey? Do they have a "super sense"? Do you shoot fixed or mechanical broadheads?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:19 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice. As I mentioned already my husband is in the oilfield. Is it ok for him to scout and ask permission for me or should he just scout and I ask permission. Do you offer a portion of the hunt? Maybe some deer steak or jerky? Thanks for all your advice so far it is really helping. One thing I have learned already is that bowhunters and archers are some really great people.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:24 PM

I guess that's just it, I'm having a hard time getting dead on the x. The adjustments are just really touchy I guess. I've started marking with a pencil so I can not over adjust if I need to go back. I have a 3 pin sight right now (it's the fiber optic wrap pins) do you know if I can add these kind of pins or if I need to buy a 5 pin?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:22 AM

to answer your question..... on hogs shoot just behind the leg knuckle on a hog look for broadside shots dont shoot too high up you will hit the shield!! on a big and old boar this can be up to an inch or more thick so look at the front leg you will see the joint and aim here to 1/3 up the body this will put you in the heart to lung area... as for hunting spot and stalk works, sitting in a blind, or setting up a stand works but remember pigs don't stand still like deer they are constantly moving around... best way to hunt find their route get deer corn and spread it out set up an abush point, pigs slow down to eat whack , whack them dead... pigs eyesite poor smell real good skitish and downright mean sometimes, but a whole lot of fun to hunt if you want more info shoot me an email in fact i'm out hunting on the 4th i welcome you to come, and shoot at hogs also[&:][8D]

as for broadheads i shoot both mechanical and fixed heads i have found both go through them well... i shoot gold tip gladiators and montec g5's

as far as your sight question i shoot just 3 pin sights or 1 pin just don't want to make too many choices... what make is your sight?

and yes you should always ask for permission from the land owner he my just thank you for taking care of a problem he may be having with hogs on thier property... some cattle ranchers have protien feeders out for thier cattle and them hogs are busting a free meal.....

just my 2 cents
Old 04-25-2004, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: ratherbebowhunting

Do you offer a portion of the hunt?
Always and I mean always clean up the area. Pick up trash left by other people. I was told to bring a bag and ask if you can use their can to dump the trash in. They will then see that you helped them and probably let you come back.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:39 AM

ORIGINAL: ratherbebowhunting

I'm having a hard time getting dead on the x.
I can't hit the x no matter what. I shoot at big colored in dots or pinecones or Mcdonald's cups. I just can't do it. When I try I shoot about 5" away. When I shoot at one of the other targets, I shoot is right where I was aiming. I also shoot 3d and in 20 rounds I get about 200.

Quick Reply: Totally new to sport. Need advice of any kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.