Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

lite carbons

Old 02-17-2002, 03:27 PM

Default lite carbons

I know this has been disgust here before but I didn't pay much attention to the thread. I'm going to the Carbon express 3-D selects for target and 3-d this year. My problem is my total weight of the arrow is less then 5 grain per. I fletched 2.5 feathers and a 75 gr. tip. I need about 30 grains. The arrows are flying good but I'm worried about IBO rules and wear on my bow. Can you add weight to the rear of the arrow without changing the fletching. I don't want to add the wieght to the tip cause I'm already around 13%with my FOC. Any suggections? Thanks.JERRY
Old 02-17-2002, 03:41 PM

Default RE: lite carbons

Jerry-

I don't know where your FOC # was derived but it seems awful high! I get around 11% when run through "The Archery Program" You could go to the ACC 3/60 unibushing and G-Nock for the back. It will only add about 3-4 grains though. Carbon Express also has weight tubes that can be added to the arrows. They are avail in different colors which conincide with different weights per inch.
Adding the 25 Grains in tip weight will put in the 12.5% area for FOC. Which is perfectly acceptable

Another you can do is drop your bows poundage to about 65 pounds and be dead nuts on for IBO. I shot these exact same arrows for 3D for the last three years at this exact setup. (I used 3" feathers and 65 grain tips). Adding weight to get to IBO will deduct as much speed as dropping your poundage to get there. For 3D you don't need the K.E. so personally I think it be wiser to drop your poundage a tad and shoot more comfortably!

Happy Shooting!

>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>

Edited by - thearcheryprogram on 02/17/2002 16:44:08
Old 02-17-2002, 04:57 PM

Thanks Tony. I should have added my set-up. I'm shooting a 26"arrow. My draw length is 27.5. My arrow balance with 2.5 feathers and a 75 gr tip is 16.4 in. According to Shaft Selector Plus from easton that puts my FOC at 13%. Which is ok. My arrow flight is pretty good.

I just retuned my bow(Merlin Max)for these arrows and in order to get my bare shaft and points to shoot in the same group I had to get my draw weight to 62-64 lbs. Thats what I usually shot my hunting rig at so I'm comfortable at that weight. I haven't put them through a crono yet but I'm hoping I can stay with one pin out to 25 yds. I went to these arrows for a closer tolerence for weight and straightness But I didn't expect to give up any speed. I was kinda hoping to increase it some if any.

Another question I have is with adding weight to the rear of the arrow will my spine change? JERRY
Old 02-17-2002, 06:29 PM

Jerry-

Adding weight to the back of the shaft has no measurable effect on spine that I am aware of. I know that some manufactures are selling weights for the nock end, but until someone comes out with the results in white paper format, I would say the effects are neglitable at best.

Happy Shooting!

>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>
Old 02-17-2002, 10:57 PM

I wonder about carbon tech's claims, I am getting some CT Mckinneys, they say the arrows will fly well with 7-9%foc. I think i would rather be closer to 12% so we will see what I do when I get them.
good shooting.
Dylan.

>>>>--------o-->
Old 02-17-2002, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

A couple of points here...when setting up for serious 3-d shooting, you want to build the best arrow you can, then set your bow up to shoot it. I like to shoot at least 10% FOC when possible. I have X-7 aluminums that are less than 6% FOC that fly great out to 50yds. I know several pro shooters that shoot similar set ups.
Also, adding weight to the nock end of your arrow will stiffen the spine.
Don`t get overly worried about a high FOC for 3-d arrows, see how they group. For hunting set ups, if you are shooting fixed blade heads, now you need to build a high FOC arrow.
Jerry, I just scrolled back to your second post and I see you are shooting a 26" arrow. If you need more weight, try shooting a longer shaft. The longer your arrow, the more flight stability you will have.