Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

? about kinetic energy

Old 04-15-2004, 01:22 PM

Default ? about kinetic energy

Is it possible, and I don't think it can be, to have more kinetic energy than your pull weight....I will explain..

Good friend of mine shoots 70 pounds, 392 grain arrow, getting 292 fps. If I am doing my math correctly, that equates to 74 pounds of kinetic energy. Something doesn't sound right with that......
Old 04-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ? about kinetic energy

It's very possible to have more KE than your draw weight with today's cams. If you've got a fairly long draw length, it's not only possible, but probable.

Your draw weight is only how many pounds the scale hits while pulling the bow. But you need to understand force draw curves to understand how energy is stored. The sooner in the draw the cam hits peak weight and the longer the draw weight dwells at peak during the draw before letoff, in other words the steeper the slopes and flatter the top of the curve is, the more enegy is stored. Some of these cams now can store well over 90 pounds of energy at 70 pounds draw weight. And they can be darn tough to pull.

Someone like me with a huge, long draw can pack a lot of energy into the bow. I get energy levels with an easy pulling, round wheel bow that some short draw guys have to use hard cams and 70 pounds draw to match.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am pulling 70 lbs and getting getting about 80 lbs of KE.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get energy levels with an easy pulling, round wheel bow that some short draw guys have to use hard cams and 70 pounds draw to match.

Which is sometimes why we don't see eye to eye
Old 04-15-2004, 01:45 PM

Also keep in mind that cams, by design, give you a mechanical advantage, which actually increases the energy stored by the bow. Think of a teeter-totter. If you balance it right, you as the 200 lb dad can go back and forth with your 40lb kid, of course you will be sitting very close to the middle and your kid will be hanging off the end. This is mechanical advantage.

JMAC
Old 04-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, but you get a real good view of my bellybutton.[8D]
Old 04-15-2004, 02:15 PM

thanks alot guys....didn't sound right, but I guess it is...
Arthur, you been a big help last coupla days....thank you
Old 04-16-2004, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I get energy levels with an easy pulling, round wheel bow that some short draw guys have to use hard cams and 70 pounds draw to match.

I have to laugh at Arthur's eventual response. Very few people see eye to eye with him.... However, RB brings up an excellent point that I believe is most often overlooked. Each of our individual setups tend to bring us only a certain perspective on any given issue. The key is to recognizing that fact and compensating for it.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

So, what are you saying, Frank? Just because I have a 33" draw I can't relate to someone with a 26" draw? Remember, I've had ALL draw lengths under 33"! I had a 26" draw.... once.... a long time ago..... when I was 10, maybe.... about 7 years before Allen invented the compound.

Old 04-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

with my Bowtech extreme solo I am shooting a 30" draw @ 71 lbs and a 460gr arrow @ 290 fps with a KE of 85.9

Quick Reply: ? about kinetic energy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.