Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Solo cams

Old 04-13-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Solo cams

For those of you that shot a solo cam Why? Just wondering
Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Solo cams

smooth shot, queit, reliable, easy to get along with. I just see no reason to change. To each their own!
Old 04-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot mine because of it's smooth draw , solid back wall , quietness , and shootability. Having said that , I dont prefer solo cams over double cams or vice versa. I chose the bow that fit my criteria the best. My backup bow is a Hoyt Ultratec double cam.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because thats what my Liberty came with. [8D]
Old 04-13-2004, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer them for a few big reasons

1) generally much more solid wall (at least BowTechs and other draw stop designs) vs. Dual cams & Hybrids. Can't beat a limb stop.

2) Best singles still have less recoil & noise vs. the best duals & hybrids. For those who shoot a ton of arrows at higher poundages (i.e. not target bow weights) and for those hunting this is a big plus. I have a 2004 CPS licensed Hybrid in my possession right now that has a big brace height and IBO's about 275 FPS at my 29" AMO draw length. It should be a smooth shooter (it does draw smooth and is very shootable), but unfortunately its extremely loud and despite a parallel limb design it also has far more recoil & vibe than any single-cam I've had in the last 3 or 4 years. Hard to beat singles for comfort at the shot.

3) Perhaps most important to me is how rock solid they hold on target. Some duals can be tiller tuned to get them to hold supa- steady but it's generally a big PITA unless you luck out or have 100% perfect shooting form. Hybrids (regardless of manufacturer) are definitely better out of the box but still not quite as good... at least in my hands.

4) better string materials & more refined current cam designs have pretty much eliminated any big issues I have with them.

That said, If I found a dual or hybrid cam I liked better on a platform I liked better I'd shoot it. So far I have not found any. If I wasn't shooting BowTech singles, I'd be shooting a Mathews HP cam or possibly one of the new PSE NRG cam bows such as the Scorpion or Venom.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Uhhh....yeah, what Jeff said.

I am currently shooting two single cam bows at the moment but was also shooting two hybrid cam bows earlier in the year. To the surprise of many I prefer the draw cycle of the single cam design both in terms of the prolonged plateau at peak weight, the relatively short valley and the extremely solid backwall.

Plus, I am a hunter...plain and simple. I look for a bow that is accurate, quiet, easy to maintain and fun to shoot overall. Most of the single cam bows I have owned/shot in the last few years fit this list of criteria quite nicely.

I consider myself open-minded enough to always try new designs. The cam system is only just one part of the bow. The rest of the "package" needs to compliment the eccentric design and vice versa.