Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Peep rotation problem

Old 02-17-2002, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Peep rotation problem

I am having a very difficult time keeping my peep rotating the same everytime. It seems as though the string twist a lot. Is there a way to remedy this? These are new strings and cables also, does this have any to do with it?
Old 02-17-2002, 10:11 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Peep rotation problem

Generally it takes 100-200 shots to get the string to settle in, then it should rotate nearly the same every shot. That's why I don't worry about this until I've shot the string in.
Old 02-17-2002, 12:56 PM

Muzzy,

Going through the same thing right now after a cable and string change. I've re-timed the bow once so far and the string is still creeping. I have also reset the peep once, when I retimed the bow. I'll put maybe another 100 shots into it, retime, tune, and hopefully set the peep for the duration of the string.

Oh yes, when you install the peep be sure to count the strands equally dividing them on installation. That way the stress on the string will be as neutral as possible causing less twisting on the peep. Once the string has settled you should be able to find the proper string division. A handy trick is to take a half a toothpick(dulled) and place it between the strands. Draw the bow and see how it rotates. Change the position between the strands until it comes up pointing to your sight. That position is going to be real close if not on.

Aim Hard!

Edited by - FLHunter on 02/17/2002 15:30:48
Old 02-17-2002, 01:07 PM

I did not want to wait until the string settled in so I got a T.r.u Ball Speed Nock. It is less weight than a regular brass nock and it will get you peep where you want it.

Old 02-17-2002, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

If I remember right from another post you mentioned you are using a string loop? If so then make sure it is on right, the top knot should be opposite of the bottom knot. If they are tied the same way then it will twist the string as you draw.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:28 AM

If it is a zebra twist string, sometimes the shop will just fire in a bunch of twists, and sell the bow, you need the right number of twists, or the string will not be stable, if you have access to a press, try putting some in and taking them out while looking at how much it twists up. I use the Tru nock, but I don't like to have to offset it to get the right peep rotation, sometimes it is a really large amount like 90 deg.+ and that isn't going to be neutral on arrow flight. The only real problem is that to work on this issue you need to have access to a press, or something simillar.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I'm going to do what everyone has suggested with new strings and just shoot the crap out of them for a while till it settles. Then, I should be able to adjust it and get everything in order.