Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do Finger shooters paper tune?

Old 02-16-2002, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Do Finger shooters paper tune?

Is paper tuning an option for finger shooters? If not, how do you tune your bow for bullet holes?

Cargo
Old 02-16-2002, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do Finger shooters paper tune?

You can paper tune if you want. It'll drive you nuts, but you can do it. Bare shaft tuning is a lot better for finger shooters.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

When you say bare shaft tuning do you mean shooting bare shafts through paper or just shooting bare shafts at the bail and seeing if they hit straight from where you shot?

thanks

Cargo
Old 02-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I mean shooting the bare shaft to see how it flies. If a bare shaft is leaving the bow crooked, you don't need paper to see it. Make adjustments to get the arrow leaving the bow straight and sticking into the target straight. I like to start bareshaft tuning at 10 yards, then back up to 20. No reason to go further than that.

You can bend the snot out of thin walled aluminum arrows doing this, so I wouldn't recommend bare shafting 2213's, 2512's and stuff like that. Carbons are no problem.

Then, when you've got the bare shafts flying straight at 20 yards, shoot groups with 3 bare shafts and 3 fletched shafts, and making SMALL adjustments to get the two groups impacting on target fairly close to each other. Especially in the vertical axis. They don't need to impact exactly the same horizontally, because once you add fletching, you've changed several things, like FOC, weight, and dynamic spine. A fletched arrow will act stiffer in spine than a bare shaft will.

One other thing, don't ever try to bare shaft tune with broadheads.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:25 PM

Ive tried paper tuning my new bow this year and it was driving me nuts been havingtrouble with the rest on my new hoyt
thought it was needing tuned in
come to find out aftert his weekend talk to hoyt rep about the bow and that ive had five diff rest on the bow over the past summe what i could be doing wrong. come to find out that the bow was set up all wrong for fing shooter they had my timeing to fast they had my tuned set up for release and they had my rest set at center
the hoyt rep told me that i need to off set arrow just left of center for finger shooter and ater i got ever thing set right now im back to shooting great groups again.

The rep also told me to get to know my bow and how it set up because not to many finger shooter left out their and 9ytime out of 10 when u take it to some one eklse to work on they shot release.
Good luck with your bow and papertuning it