Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Kids Bows - Super fun!

Old 03-29-2004, 10:24 AM

Default Kids Bows - Super fun!

Hey there, I just spent a few hours this weekend making my 2 year old a bow out of PVC!

Here is what you need.

Used bow string (get this from your archery shop)
small dia. pvc pipe, depends on the age/strength of kid.
knock set
2 bolts with washers and nuts
flipper style stick on rest (needs T-nut & bolt to secure)
electrical tape.
small arrows cut down.

Take the PVC and drill a hole the size of the bolts in each end. run the string into the end and tie off around the bolt. Just use your best judgement for length of pvc, brace height etc. Don't cut your bow string until you have the length right.

place the nock set on the string and use a T-nut/bolt set to secure the flipper rest on the pvc. (I actually used an old Whisker buiscuit inserted into a slot that I cut in the pvc with a rotozip, then used some safety wire to hold it in place.) But I think for $1 you can pick up a plastic flipper style.

I took some old skinny carbon arrows and cut them down. I but a blundt tip on it and taped it up with electrical tape so that it was soft in the front. We started by shooting at my target in the basement. They just bounce off the target at this point which is OK.

He can't get enough of it. I do have to help him hold and pull back the string. (just grab his little arm by the elbow so that he can release when he's ready)

Have fun!
Old 03-29-2004, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Kids Bows - Super fun!

High tech selfbow!