Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

WHAT is wrong with my bow

Old 03-25-2004, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default WHAT is wrong with my bow

Installed new string to fix the "not going to full draw weight" problem, but it didn't fix it!! I guess I will have to take it to one of the shops here and just hope for the best. I posted about this problem on the PSE forum and got no response yet. Am I just lucky or do other people have problems like this too? Any other help from any of you would be appreciated in the meantime. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: WHAT is wrong with my bow

Twist up your cable. It will add more prestress to your limbs resulting in more weight.

I think I said that the right way?[8D]
Old 03-25-2004, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Good suggestion except I've already been there, done that. I twisted the snot out of them and can't shorten my draw any more. What else?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

It may be that your limbs are just a tad bit weaker than what is specified for your bow. I don't know of any other way to bring up the poundage other than twisting the cables. Maybe someone else here can help more?

I would contact your bows manufacturer and ask about replacement limbs if they are not coming up to the weight that is advertised. If your bow is new they should certainly be under warranty.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:21 PM

How low is the pondage? If it is less then 5 pounds you might have to live with it. How many times have you shot the bow? I had a bow that had 5 years of regular shooting, the older it got the weaker it got.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:42 PM

Good suggestion except I've already been there, done that. I twisted the snot out of them and can't shorten my draw any more. What else?

Twisting your cable does not shorten your draw length. Twisting your string does. If you twist your cable without twisting your string you will lengthen your draw and increase your poundage. If you have twisted the snot out of both the mabey just try untwisting your string some. But usually twisting your cable has a much greater effect since it is less than half the length of the string.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Did the bow draw it's rated peak weight for you when you first got it and now it won't?

How do your brace height and axle to axle length check against the factory specs for your bow? If the a-to-a length is longer and brace height lower than they're supposed to be then either your string/cable still has some snot left to get twisted out of them OR they're the wrong length and need to be replaced.

If the a-to-a and brace measure at spec, or if you've twisted up till the brace is more than 3/4" higher and a-to-a more than an inch shorter than spec, and you still cannot get the rated draw weight out of it, I'd send the bow back to the factory.

I will add one exception to that... and this is why I asked at the beginning if the bow has EVER drawn it's rated peak weight for you. If your bow has a cam with adjustable draw length over several inches, and if you're shooting that bow set at one of the shorter draw length adjustments for that cam, you probably will never get the bow to draw it's rated peak weight. You're simply not putting enough bend in the limbs to generate the poundage before the cam(s) roll over.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another sugestion similar to Arthur's is , Put the bow in a press , remove the string and cabel , stretch them out , and twist them [or untwist them] to their factory specks , and reinstall . That should get you to the advertised brace and axil length and poundage , if your limbs have not lost strength .
Old 03-26-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is the draw length right, just the weight can't go higher? If so, twist BOTH the string and cables. This will raise the draw weight while keeping the draw length the same. It takes
a bunch of trial and error to get it right, especially on a two-cam to keep the cams synched, but its actually pretty easy. I did this with my wife's Thunderbolt with Maxi-HL cams that we used the cam to adjust down the length 1/2 inch. Problem was we then maxed out on poundage around 42 on 50lb limbs (with cams set to "normal" slots it maxed at 52). I marked the cams with a gel pen, twisted up both cables, twisted up the string then played with it to re-align the cams and poof, maxed it out at 47 which was perfect for her.

--Bob
Old 03-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Something else to consider. If, as Arthur suggested, the bow did once reach its listed peak weight and now it doesn't then if it does not turn out to be a string/cable problem then it might be a weak limb. Most times that can only be determined at the factory.

Quick Reply: WHAT is wrong with my bow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.