Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

x-coat drawback

Old 03-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default x-coat drawback

For those of you considing ordering a winners choice string or cabel with their new x-coat , let me warn you be very sure of the length you order . There is very littel room for adjustment 4 or 5 twist or untwist is about all you will be abel to get as the wraps efectivly lock the twists in place .
Old 03-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: x-coat drawback

Thanks for letting us know I want to pick a set up for spare set .

nubo
Old 03-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to mention something that was brought to my attention about x-coat and that is the fact that is is wrapped around your strings and cables which creates a "washboard" effect through your cable slide and a roughness that can definitely be felt, which in turn creates a scratchy feeling and a certain amount of drag. This abrasive action can definitely errode some of the slide as well.
Just something that I noticed.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:23 AM

That sounds like a real negative. Keeping a string at the exact correct length can require quite a few twists over it's life. With not being able to twist your strings, you reduce one tuning option and will have to move nocking points. You will also have to accept lower brace heights, and lower maximum draw weights.

Maybe this is why Winners Choice pre-stretch their strings under such high tension. It may be the only way to get their system to work long term. I asked someone at Brownell about the high tension pre-stretch used by Winners Choice, and they said it wasn't recommended. It can damage the string material. I think they said not to tension them with any more then 300 pounds tension, for the best results. However, 300 lbs will not take all stretch out of a string and it will continue to creep a bit.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mlauber brings up another point , that I feal is valid , and may infact cost some speed . One more drawback I remembered is that you cant install string leaches with this coating either . I did not order my cabels with this stuff , they just put it on , so it may be a "standard" item now . In the furure I will definately tell them not to install it on my strings/cabels .
Old 03-25-2004, 07:02 AM

I have two bows set up with winners choice strings and cables. Both have the X-coat and I gained between 3-6 fps with the two bows by changing from factory string and cables to the winners choice. I know the type of material WC uses accounts for the increase of speed but in MY case WC and the X-coat definitely does not take any speed away. Also, I use the Dalton high speed bow wax conditioner on my WC as well as the X-coat area of the cables and this stuff is super slick. I do not feel any friction during the draw from the X-coat or cable slide. For those not aware WC only recommends using Dalton bow wax on their strings and cables. I don't know what the difference is but this stuff keeps the string and cables really slick and in good condition.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:08 AM

What Mark mentioned was something we found while working on his friend's bow. I could feel a funny 'drag' or 'catching' of something in the draw cycle. After some investigation, we found that the "X-coat" had actually broken right under the slide.

There was no way to properly repair that area, so we removed it.

I look at it much like Mark described - a "washboard" effect. It is much like running your slide across monofilament center serving. First time I've seen it happen so I'm not condemning it. It is, however, something that has to be considered. Heavily waxing the area under the slide would be my recommendation to possibly help prevent this occurrence.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You will also have to accept lower brace heights, and lower maximum draw weights.
SA,

In most cases, you gain draw weight as your string stretches.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:47 AM

Silent,

What you say holds true if your string stretches, but your cables don't. However, a stretching cable (and most do creep), will decrease drawlength and redude the pre-stress on the limbs, thus giving you a lower draw weight. I've measured several bows, where this increase in cable length caused as much as a 15 lb drop in maximum draw weight. All it took, was twising them to bring the draw weight back up to specs.