Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How far past brace

Old 03-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How far past brace

Does the string travel towards the bow before the nock separates? How much farther does the string continue to travel forward?

I'm thinking of taking the Saunder's deadly quiet I have lying on my desk, removing everything except the cable rod bracket and sticking a limb saver to act as a string dampener, kinda like the Mathew's string suppressors, only this will be in the middle of the string, so could possibly be more effective.

Any idea?
Old 03-23-2004, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How far past brace

How much creep have you got in your rigging? How tight are your nocks? How long is your draw length and what draw weight are ya shootin'? Is your bow set near it's max draw weight or is it set on the low end of it's range? How light are your arrows? What accessories do you have on the string?

They all affect string follow on the shot.

In other words, I ain't got nary a clue how far forward MY string follows the arrow, much less how far your string does. [:-]
Old 03-24-2004, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah....I was thinking along the same line as Arthur. There are alot of variables that would potentially affect the answer to your question.

If I am understanding what you are trying to do correctly then I believe it would be similar to the Shockstop which is being used on some of the NAAG bows. I have a few laying around in my basement. If you want me to send you one then drop me an email.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Art, I was all set to plug in the variables for ya, then I figured out you were being sarcastic...

PA, I think you should start a course of Ginko Biloba, supposed to be for memory. You sent me one of those several months ago...

How many ya got laying around, anyway?

It wasn't that impressed with the hard rubber stopper they used, figured navcom would do a much better job.

Ok, anyone care to guesstimate how soon after coming to brace upon release the nock leaves the string? Trying to avoid the sudden string stoppage from losing available power stroke delivery...
Old 03-24-2004, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sarcastic??? ME??[&:][8D]

I don't think the string following past brace height is applying ANY additional power. If anything, when it goes past brace height and before the nock seperates, it's applying drag to the arrow. I'd just set the thing up to contact the string at brace height and give it a go. See what it does and make adjustments from there.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Now to find scrounge up a lone limbsaver...

Frank, got any of these in your basement?

Old 03-24-2004, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Geesh, ya offer a guy some free stuff and he ridicules you.....

I knew I sent them out to some folks but honestly do not remember who. I have about a half dozen still in my basement. They come as an optional accessory on all of the NAAG bows I have bought over the years. I usually take them off before shooting so they do just lay around...gathering dust.

I think you may run into durability problems if you were to stick a limbsaver someplace to stop the string. Wasn't that the way that the GKF Powerdrop was originally designed? I thought they had durability problems with it.

Frank, got any of these in your basement?
Actually, yes I have those too. Would you like a regular sized one or one of the minis?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:12 AM

I think the arrow is slowing down well before brace - probably as soon as it passes the peak on its draw force curve.

I would not be concerned with loosing power as much as I would be in altering nock travel as only one side of the string(the upper) will contact the Limbsaver. With the string stoping above the knock (maybe even bouncing back) as the lower portion of the string continues forward.................I can't see that as a good thing

But who knows ...............
Old 03-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regular size would be great I've never seen a PD in real life, wasn't sure if it was navcom or not. Anything in particular you didn't like about the NAAG slide/suppressor?

Hadn't thought of that Rack. However, when I attempted to try out the Saunder's deadly quiet, it also only contacted the string at brace above the nock, and I didn't have any accuracy issues, bow shot the same before/after installation.

That is until the plunger rod in the piece of crap decided it didn't want play and things came to a screeching halt...
Old 03-24-2004, 09:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Regular size would be great I've never seen a PD in real life, wasn't sure if it was navcom or not. Anything in particular you didn't like about the NAAG slide/suppressor
You sure about the size? A mini one would fit nicely in place of that hard rubber on the Shockstop...

From personal experience I cannot comment on the Shockstop device. I have never personally used one. However, many of the customers at the shop complained that they wore out eventually....and I have heard a report or two that some serving/string damage was also discussed.

Quick Reply: How far past brace

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.