Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thanks for the tuning tips !!!

Old 03-22-2004, 07:12 AM

Default Thanks for the tuning tips !!!

Thanks Arthur P , 5shot, Len, and others !!!

I just got back from being out of town and sat down with my bow yesterday and tuned it seriously (at least for me [8D])!

I adjusted the tiller to where my bow doesn't move upwards on the draw ( thanks Arthur P ) !! Group tuned (thanks AP and others) !

I paper tuned and got a bullet hole at point blank with the Wisker Biscuit......but backed up to 10 steps (thanks 5shot) and got a little left tear ........fixed it !

Spun my arrows and figured out my best ones (thanks Len) !

Had a good day of shooting and shot most of my groups at 40 yrds and was consistantly under 2.5 " !!

Well decided the ultimate test .......my 130 or 135 grain Muzzy 4 blades (had them forever) !! These have consistantly given me the worst results over the years with my higher speed set ups ! Well the Outback is slinging these in the low 280's and I am proud to say that for the first time ever .......I got the blasted 4 blades to hit with my field points at 40 yrds ! They hit right below them and I figure that is due to the extra 5-10 grains they are over my 125 grain field tips ! My field tip/broadhead groups combined were apprx. 4" !!

You guys have been a lot of help for me !! But I'm sure I need and will need a lot more help in the future !! Thanks again - Brent !!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Thanks for the tuning tips !!!

For the small part I sometimes play, you're quite welcome. I'm very happy for you.

Good luck with your shooting and hunting.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:16 PM

CBM SC,
Glad to hear of your success with the whisker biscuit and your Outback. If you can shoot 2" groups with your field points and broadheads at 40yards at over 280FPS I'd say you are pretty well tuned. Thank you for sharing the story of your bowtuning success with us. I hope that others can share the same feeling of acomplishment, achievement, and satisfaction that you have now. Good luck hunting!
Old 03-25-2004, 05:46 AM

Arrroman, Thanks......it's been a long road ! And I would not have gotten where I wanted without the advice of members of this board !!

I would tell ya'll about my 65 yrd groups Tues. afternoon........but it would just seem like bragging !!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:25 AM

CBM SC,
I enjoy hearing about the success of others. How long did it take for you to set up your bow? Can you outline the sequence of steps so others can duplicate your results? Thanks for answering the board! Good luck hunting!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thank you, CBM. I'm glad to some of my methods worked for you.[&:]
Old 03-25-2004, 02:12 PM

Is there a thread that I can read that has all the tips that he is thanking everyone for?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:17 PM

I bought a book a while back called Bow & Arrow-The complete guide to equipment, technique, and competition by Larry Wise. Its like a manual for bow set up and tuning. You don't have to read the whole book if your not a heavy reader. Just flip to the chapter you need. Helped me out a lot and I still go back and look at it whenever I have a question. Only $13. Can't beat it.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:39 PM

I am apprehensive about replying because I don't want anyone to get misinformed ! I'm also fairly a novice at tuning and just starting to apply some of the knowledge gained here !

But I'll tell you my quest and how I arrived where I am .........right or wrong !

I wanted my bow to be tuned as well as possible and achieve results described by many of the guys here ! Although I shoot mechanicals .....it stands to reason that if you can get fixed blades to shoot with field points at high speeds then your bow is tuned very well !

So my objective was to get this bow shooting good groups at all ranges and get my worst shooting fixed blades to be able to match up with my field points ! I was told it could be done....so I had to try !! I have been shooting for about 7 years seriously and have my release down good and pretty consistant form !

First was figuring out why I haven't been able to get broadheads to fly like FP's : After posting back and forth with Len.........came to the conclusion that I have never spent the time with my arrows (or really my bow ). I bought an arrow spinners and spun every arrow I have and was very surprised at how many I had to pull out or fix ! Some needed re-fletching......some a new nock....some went to the trash !

Then paper tuning : This was previously my only form of tuning ! So I get a bullet hole at point blank with the WB. But 5shot told me one day about false bullet holes at point blank with the WB. So I did as suggested and back up about 10 steps and got a left tear ! Like I said I adjusted it out ! Normally this is where I would have felt my bow was tuned well........but I have learned a lot from these guys ! I think it was 5shot or Len or both.....that also told me to paper tune all of my arrows and not just one !!

So then I started group tuning (got from Arthur P and several others)! I shot groups at 20 and was on target with tight groups ! Switched to 40 yrds and had tight groups but left ! I adjusted the rest to the right and pulled my groups closer to the bullseye but they went slightly right ! Tried some broadheads to see where they hit and they hit right ! So I adjusted back a little left and shot a group just on the left edge of dead center bullseye. So I came back to 20 yrds and shot......just left of dead center bullseye. I made a slight sight adjustment left and hit dead center ! Backed up to 40 and nailed it........screwed on the broadheads and hit just under my group !

Tuesday afternoon I stretched my shots out to 65 yrds and hit about 3" left of the bulseye 5" group . Made a slight sight adjustment.....and next group was about 1.5-2" right of the bullseye . Made a micro type adjustment back left and had a 4 arrow group centered around the bullseye . Came back to 20 and shot dead on........went to 40 and was dead on.......went back to 65 and shot 8 groups af 4 arrows and had a smallest group of 3.5" and a largest of 5.5 " !!

Oh......and I had posted a thread a few weeks ago about tiller tuning and found out from Arthur P this seems to be most useful for holding on target while your drawing. I cranked my bow up all the way then backed down each limb about 3/4 of a turn. My bow pulled upwards as I drew .....so I increased my bottom limbs poundage a half turn ......then a little more and holy crap..........it holds practically on target all the way through my draw cycle ! Apparently you can adjust the bows tendancy to move upward or downward by adjusting the poundage up or down of the opposite limb .........and it doesn't take much !!

I don't know if all that helps or not........and not sure if I got everything exactly correct .......but that's what has helped me !!
Old 03-25-2004, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess you know now that when you need a bowshop's advice that the huntingnet is the place to be .I got a lot of help from ausie guy yesterday and today on setting up my Muzzy Zero Effect rest and he helped me out tremendously .I was getting a vibration and now it's gone . This is definetly the place to be when you need advice.

nubo