Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What's the stiffest carbon arrow per grain?

Old 03-25-2004, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's the stiffest carbon arrow per grain?

Thanks guys......I may be off to buy some new arrows here shortly. I'd like to try some of these lighter shafts and see how they fly in comparison. I'd also like to reduce the number of 3-D pins I need to two!

Boy that Black Knight II is really starting to call.............

Fritz
Old 03-25-2004, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fred,

I have some Beman ICS 400 shafts up at the house. You are more than welcome to fletch a couple up to your usual specs to see how they fly out of your setup. They should be lighter than what you are currently shooting though I do not know if the spine is gonna work for your setup or not. Trial and error I suppose. You could also play with the point weight to some extent.

Thanks for the fibers. The yellow worked great.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Frank.....I may take you up on that. The 400's at 8.4G/inch give me a total arrow weight of around 350G with a 75G head. I'm not sure what the FOC of that arrow is, but it's worth a try. The selection chart recommended the 400's for my bow so it may work well. Now that the Pat's tuned, I'm on a kick to flatten that trajectory.......I wonder if anyone has a used Black Knight for sale!

I also wonder if I could get away with 500's or similar. I suppose if the head isn't too weighty it may be possible? What do you think?

Fritz
Old 03-25-2004, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Considering your setup I think the 500s are going to be too weak of a spine even with a 75 grain point. Maybe one of those specialty points which weigh in at around 50 grains but even then.

Regardless, I think I have a 500 shaft laying around as well. You can try that too if you like. I have no reason to shoot it.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holly cow Fritz, there are lots of light arrows out there. If you want a 400 spine you could look at the Easton Lightspeed at 7.41 gr/inch or the 340 at 8.1/inch. Top this off with a target point and get rid of the insert, fletch with feathers and you're near a dryfire situation. 500's are definitely too limber. The way I figure it a 28" 400 with 70gr tip and three 4" feathers with uni-nock would weigh just about 300gr. Light enough for ya?