Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

zebra-twist strings

Old 03-22-2004, 04:49 AM

Default RE: zebra-twist strings

I have Zebra strings on my High Country, (I needed a new string right away and that is all the shop had) And I will second and third and fourth what others have said. They are Junk, Mine stretched atleast 1" actually I shot it quite a bit to get all the stretch out of it and then when I thought it was set, it stretched some more. I will never put one of those on my bow again. I would suggest Berry strings, Wolfden Bowstrings, Stone Mountain, or Winners Choice, with the last being the most expensive.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:45 AM

Z strings are alright, but they stretch like crazy.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 AM

I've never had one of the Mathews Zebra Twist strings stretch. The probably stretch a fraction on the wear in period, but Im taking like 45 degrees of peep rotation, and then it's fine. If you meet someone who says they do get them to email customer service. Mostly it's WC and Bowtech propaganda on this site.

You have to understand that this is a high performance complex string, if it's not hadled properly at the dealer end you will have problems. If it's done properly you won't.

The maximum stretch in these high tech fibers is minimal. It's specked in certain applications to be equivalent to wire rope. The idea that it's stretching out 5% at minimal percentages of the maximum working loads, is hugely improbable.

WC does not make it's raw materials, they buy string from the exact same people Mathews and everyone else does.

The Zebra Twist string is fine, but it's the option more for hunters and so forth. If your ordering a target bow, you might prefer the Tiger Twist. I've always shot the Zebra myself in 3D. Measure your axel to axel, and twist up from both ends if you experience stretch. Stretchi just a sign the string is settling in, and by no means an idication you need to replace it.

Here is what I heard from a tech

"It is about 50/50. Some shoot Zebra and some shoot the Tiger. But for 3d I would recommend the Tiger. That is our no stretch string. But it is a about 2-3 fps slower than the Zebra and a little less durable. I don't know when the pro shooters change their strings. But i would assume when they show wear. We use BCY materials. But we can make strings out of Brownell material also. We stock BCY strings but we can make brownell strings if ordered. "

If you have further questions try [email protected]. It worked last year.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Ossage
I've never had one of the Mathews Zebra Twist strings stretch.
You are lucky then.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:49 PM

Define stretch like crazy?
Old 03-22-2004, 04:49 PM

Ossage, I bought an LX last year with the Zebra strings and I own a Bowtech mighty mite 2002 with Winners choice. I shot the LX for about 300 shots and the string stretched about 1/2", so I twisted it back to specs and after another 300 shots, it stretched another 1/2". I twisted again and 500 shots later, it was stretched another 1/2". I was now getting a pretty stiff string and cable due to all the twist in the string and cable. I gave up and got a set of Winners Choice, shot the bow about 2000 shots and no stretch. The Bowtech has about 4000 shots and no stretch. I just got rid of the LX due to the brace heigth and got an Outback. The string and cable seem to be better than the ones on the LX but time will tell. I am not afflicated with Winners Choice, Bowtech or any other company. I am simply giving my experience with the Zebra string and cable. I realize the Winners Choice is expensive but they are made better than any string I've ever seen. Don
Old 03-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don in VA. Did you experience any serving problems with the LX after putting on the winners choice string. I shoot ALOT and found that the servings on the string were wearing under the roller cable, even with the bow set to specs. I went with the zebra again and have found no wear problem. I have written both mathews and winners choice and have received no response. I have heard of this problem from alot of other people. The Zebra seemed to cure the problem as it rides better in the roller wheel. Just curious.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:58 PM

Elkcrazy8, I found no problems with the Winners Choice. I noticed the serving at the roller guard kind of flattened a little but no wear or seperation. The Zebra string on the Outback looks a lot different from the Zebra on the LX I had so I'm hoping they heard all the grumbling and fixed the problem. Don
Old 03-23-2004, 09:31 AM

Shot Zebra string on two different bows. They do streatch, but are a pretty good string if you don't mind retuning alot. I just purchased a Berry String and cable and am waiting for them to arrive. I heard good things about Wayne Newberry's custom strings and they are about half the cost of Winners Choice. He makes them out of Ultracam in many different configurations. No streatch after they settle in(50 or so shots). Check his web site out. I believe it is berrystrings.com. Mr Newberry is also a pleasure to deal with on orders.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Zebra and tiger Servings are a huge step down from Winners Choice.

You just IMO cannot even compare the two.

Quick Reply: zebra-twist strings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.