Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Learning how to do work on a bow?

Old 03-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Spike

Default Learning how to do work on a bow?

I want to be able to do work on my own bow, but don't know how to get started. It cost so much money to bring it in any shop around me. Plus no one i hunt with really knows how to work on bows.

Little scared to just go out to buy a bow press. One don't want to brake my bow cause i don't know what I'm doing. Also the risk of injury. There was a guy at this pro shop i used to go to who had the had the press bow up while he was working on something. Some how hit it him in the neck and broke his neck. He was wearing a hallow around his head for a year.

I also want to start building my arrows. Just wondering how some of you learned and got started.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Learning how to do work on a bow?

I would suggest to get some books by Larry Wise, I'm sure you can get them on amazon, which explains pretty much everything on compound bows.

If you are looking for a press, look at Apple. I have one that cost around $100 I think. Always use the safety strap around the bow before tightening. As long as you do this, if something slips, it should still be safe.

As far as arrow, I would suggest a Bitz, and just follow the instructions.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:24 PM

I learned real simple stuff on my own, and then just tried to perfect it from there. I learned some of the harder stuff when i began working at a pro shop part time. I learned ALOT from doing that. Im not sure of any books, i know it was tough for me to read some stuff, so i ended up just putting hte book aside and doin it myself. Go to a pro shop and ask him some questions, maybe even see if you can come watch or have him show you sometime, business is SLOW this time of year, and after turkey season, it gets worse till about the 4th of july.

I like the bitz fletcher, but i like my Jo-jan more.
The yellow apple bow press is what i use, havnt had any problems, but its tougher to work on some of the more parrallel limb bows.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest to get some books by Larry Wise, I'm sure you can get them on amazon, which explains pretty much everything on compound bows.
Very good advice! I started by reading books and manuals also. I also think there is a class you can take. You might have to travel some to catch one of them , but it's well worth it. My buddy took one in Michigan I believe , I think it cost around $200 - $300.
Old 03-20-2004, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

Don't buy a cheap portable bow press! I own a Bowmaster now after my "little accident"[&:]
Old 03-20-2004, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're serious about working on your own bow, I'd suggest finding a pro shop that is willing to teach you. If you decide to buy a press, I'd suggest buying a good Apple press. They cost some in the beginning, but make doing press work much easier than with a portable setup.

Take your time when learning. If you're not comfortable doing something. Take it to the shop and have them do while showing you how to do it. I learned most of my stuff on my own. I don't have a problem doing anything on my bows now.

As for fletching your own. Get a Bitz fletcher. Best in the business IMO. If I would give any advice on fletching: Make sure that you prep the arrow right. That is the most imporant factor in whether the fletching stick or come loose.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Larry Wise was my teatcher. Started from there and learned my way with just playing, reading, listning, looking. One of the best things to learn from is this bulletinboard. If you have a question about something, ask it here. Reading all these posts here makes me learn every day more and more.

Buy a good bowpress for sure. Its worth every $ you pay for it.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

I read my owners manual and started from there. I still take it to the shop for nock placement and rest adjustment. I haven't invested in those tools yet. One day I may get around to buying them.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:32 AM

If you are serious about working on your own bow than you definitely need to buy a press. I started archery hunting four years ago and after seeing what the local pro shops offer I went and bought the best apple press and started to fix and adjust my own bow. Most of my learning came from trial and error and going to sites like this for advice. People like Pa. Matt, field 14, Pa. bowhunter, are a few that will take the time to help you out with any problem you may have. So far I haven't broke anything and I take pride in adjusting and repairing not only my bow but a few other people's bows.
Polack
Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some folks have already mentioned it but I would suggest asking/hanging around down at one of the more friendly, reputable shops in your area. You might even ask to do some "volunteer" work with them fletching arrows, etc... to help out. Most of the techs I have run into are more than happy to explain all the little nuances of archery equipment.