Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Xtec Tuning advice...

Old 03-18-2004, 05:52 AM

Default Xtec Tuning advice...

I just picked up my Xtec and Ewolf's thread(or whatever you would like to call it) got me thinking. For starters, I will be shooting 100gr Rocket Sidewinders out of it. But even if I were shooting fixed out of it....other than shooting the fixed to see exactly where they are shooting versus my field pts(like I would do with my mechs anyway)....What tuning is there to do? Paper tune? I don't want to be lazy! If I have put in all the #'s correctly...386gr arrow @ 281-283FPS that's 68-69ft-lbs. Again if I understand it correctly, that is enough KE for mechs...Right?

Sorry for all the mumbo jumbo, but I guess over-all my question is....What tuning is there to be done?

Thanks for the info,
Stump
Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Xtec Tuning advice...

I would tune that bugger till its the best you can do honestly. Using mechanicals is no excuse for half a@# tuning. Actually, when you think about it, you need to generate as much KE as possible for a given setup to make a mechanical style head perform at its best. This is because you need more energy to open the blades typically. Tuning your bow properly will ensure better efficiency and highest potential amount of energy your bow has to offer.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:39 AM

Well I should have stated this in my 1st post, before "someone" just assumes that I know what I'm doing and that I just started the thread to be a smart a$$. That wasn't my intent.

I have been bowhunting for 4 years now and am starting to gain interest in not only bowhunting, but knowing my bow, what it does and how to tweek it. Once again I should have posted more clearly, but I am looking for pointers on what to tune, how to possibly tune it, what to look for if a bow is out of tune etc...

Thanks
Old 03-18-2004, 07:41 AM
Typical Buck

The best advice I can give you is to read the Easton arrow tuning guide from front to back. It covers alot of what you'll need to do to get that arrow flying true. Also, you may want to read up a bit on tiller and how it affects arrow flight and aim. Before you try to tune anyting, however, be absolutely sure you're comfortable with your draw length, poundage, and form. Changing any of these three things will throw all your hard tuning hours out of wack. They're the first places to start.

I just spent 3 months tuning my new Patriot and not until last night did I feel as though I had it coming together. Proper bow fit, weight, and form would have streamlined the process but it still takes time and patience.

The icing on the cake for me was when I put a crummy 5 year old Thunderhead on my arrow and hit a quarter size spot at 40 yards. The broadheads were flying the same as the field tips, even out to 50 yards, which was my original goal.

This process worked for me:
1. Micro tune draw length including peep position/anchor point, timing, and peep rotation
2. Adjust to a comfortable draw weight
3. Practice releases to alleviate bow torque
4. Adjust tiller
5. Paper tune using the Easton tuning guide

Good luck and if you have specific questions I'm sure you'll get alot of answers/opinions.......

One more thing, make sure you've thoroughly broken in the bow/new string or your baseline will change throughout the tuning process.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:55 AM

MrFritz44,

Thankyou very much for the great info!! If I could pick your brain a bit more....What's a tiller? Granted, that probably is a stupid question. But like I said, I really don't know my head from my arse on what half of the stuff is on a bow. And also, would you happen to have the website for the Easton arrow tuning guide?

Thankyou!!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stump_MN_Hunter, my apologies if I came off critical. That was not my intent.

To me, the ultimate tune in exactly what MrFritz said as well. Slight movements in rest left, and right, and moving the nocking point up and down until both field points and broadheads are hitting one another is what its all about. Also, one you have obtained a good tune like this, you will notice the noise and any vibration in the bow will be lower and the bow will be more forgiving. And like a sarcastically said above, you KE and efficiency will be higher as well.

You can also try creep tuning, though I don't know much about it so I can't help you there.

Download and print off a copy of the Easton Tuning guide. That is kinda the "Bible of Bow Tuning" and give lots of good info.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

Here are some good links:

Tiller: http://www.archersadvantage.com/TipS...llerTuning.htm

Easton Tuning Guide: http://eastonarchery.com/downloads/p...ning_guide.zip

Good luck and be patient!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:59 AM

No harm...no foul Muzzy. I should have laid out my experience with bows better in my 1st post and then it would have made more sense. I'll have to get this new bow broken in and then see what I have.

Thanks