Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech finishes holding up?

Old 03-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bowtech finishes holding up?

Now don't flame me! [:-] My Bowtech shoots great and I'm happy that I bought it, but I have a question regarding how everyone's 2004 finishes are holding up. The front handle finish on my two month old bow is beginning to break down to the aluminum and is becoming shiny. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this?

I've not had alot of bows in my time and in fact, this is only my second. The last was a 1989 Hoyt and it's finish is still good today, although photo-realism wasn't around yet and the pattern is quite primitive. Is this what can be expected from these new dipped(?) bow finishes?

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 03-15-2004, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech finishes holding up?

I'm not a Bowtech shooter so I can't speak from that standpoint. But I will say that it seams the dipped photo finishes used on todays bows don't hold up nearly as well.

I shoot Hoyt and their finished seem to hold up pretty well for about a year or so, then you can notice that "shiney look" around the handle. I think its due to the acids and other oils in our skin that break it down faster in that area.

On another note, I will have to say, and I may get bashed all over the place here, but I think Bowtech's finished are sub-par. My shop just started carrying them this winter and all 8 or 9 of the bows they originally got in had quite a few blems on them. Especially the limb pocket area. Some didn't have any paint at all. For 600 + dollars, I'd expect a little more. Thats not to say they aren't sweet bows, I'll probably have one in a month to play with.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 PM

Settle down guys, it's not a sports car, it a freaking bow! I like when mine starts to get a little character to it. It actually looks like I've been hunting with it and not just smoozing around the with the target pukes.

To answer your question, wear around the grip is very common and I've seen it on most the new bows that I have owned, Bowtech, Mathews and Hoyt.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

No wear on mine yet...except where the allen wrench slipped while screwing in my sight [:@]
Old 03-16-2004, 12:16 AM

No wear on the wife's camo Patriot VFT yet,,,, maybe if she would shoot it more that the 60 or so shots that she has it would show something
Old 03-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I must be too careful. Other than scratches from dragging them around in the woods, the finish on my BowTechs have held up very well. I have seen some blems on the first 04s, but it appears the finish on the later runs is better.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:42 AM

I have a 3 year old Q2Xl and a freind has a Q2 thats a few years old. We shoot in a league, 3D and hutn all the time. Ours show no sign of wear to the point that the metal is showing.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen Fred's bow and it is indeed showing signs of wear in and around the grip area. My Liberty has some flecks chipped off of the arrow shelf but little sign of wear elsewhere. Fred and I were comparing this on Sunday.

I believe this is Bowtech's first year dipping "in-house" so it may take them a bit to work out all the kinks in the process.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

To patch the paint on my 2002 mighty-mite, I bought some of the noshine camo green spray paint, sprayed some into the cap, dipped a brush in it and touched up the worn areas. Turns out the camo-spray pain is flatter than the camo bowtech finish.

Anybody else tried touching up? what's the secret to a match?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess it's to be expected with these new finishes as I also spoke to a "Hoyt friend" last night and he's having some issues on a new XTec as well.

Fritz

Quick Reply: Bowtech finishes holding up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.