Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

montec g5

Old 03-14-2004, 10:05 AM

Default montec g5

I purchased 3 montec g5 before last season. They were very dull out of the pack. when I pay ten dollars per head they should be sharp. I trieed to sharpen them but was unable too. i will admit I am not the best person to sharpen broadheads, but I was wondering if anyone had experience sharpening the g5's and if they would share how. One other question, since these heads will need to be resharpened a good bit, how will it affect its flight and how will it affect the weight of the head? thanks ash
Old 03-14-2004, 04:16 PM
nub

Default RE: montec g5

ash; Volumes have been written in these forums about the Montecs. Try using the search feature above or below. Have you tried the links provided at G5's website? I can tell you, they are sharper than you think. The amount of sharpening needed is not going to have any significant effect on weight or flight.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:49 PM

When you sharpen blades you don't shave off metal you put it back in line.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

I'll see if I can cut and paste from an old thread I saved.

I have decided to use the Montec broadheads this year, like many others on this board. But The whole sharpening process, while seemingly simple has never produced the edge that I have strived to attain. Well tonight I stumbled upon a darn near foolproof method to get these things scary sharp.

The first thing, is that you do not need the diamond stone that they recomend.
I dumped $30 for a diamond stone at Lowes this weekend, only to find out that I could not get a decent edge using it.

Here is my approach:
I started with the heads right out of the tube.
Get a new flat piece of 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, lay it on a flat surface and begin to sharpen the head as they recomend (push the head, point first, away from you). Keep stroking the same side until all of the side to side tooling marks have been removed from the blade edges and have been replaced with a very fine pattern of lines running front to back.
Repeat for the other 2 sides of the broadhead. It took between 10 and 15 strokes per side to make all of the original lines disappear.

Now change to a piece of 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lay it down on the table and repeat the previous process. For this step the fine lines left by the 600 girt paper will be replaced by a near mirror edge on the blades. Keep stroking until the entire length of the blades is highly polished. As you work the blades, a gray streak will develop down the paper. Keep stroking over this stripe. As the grit fills up, it effectively becomes a lower and lower grit, putting a better edge on the blades.

It took me about 5 minutes per head, and the result was all of them ending up sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm.