Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Marking cams?

Old 03-08-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Marking cams?

I have gotten some tips from you guys about recording your bow measurements to determine string stretch. I just need a little more help on how to mark my cams after I get the new string on. Do you measure after a few shots when everything is settled? Also, how and where to you mark and measure on the cams. I want to make sure I get this right this time so I don't have to go through all this again. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Marking cams?

Nebuckler ! I'd shoot it for a while to settle the string's and cable's in first.But when your marking it you need to mark on both sides of the limb but on one surface of the cam.As the cam moves {roll's} you will notice the mark's rotating under the limb as the string stretch's.

Hopefully this help's

nubo
Old 03-09-2004, 05:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Assuming it is correctly timed from the factory I mark my cams immediately after setting up the bow. I normally draw a line with a lead pencil around where the limb passes through the cam.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you mark your cams for? I have never heard anybody tell me or anybody to do this at an archery shop.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

nuge15, assuming your bow has the correct drawlength, you mark your cam so as to see how much and which direction yoiur rigging stretches..This works in conjunction with measuring ATA. Normally if there is any movement of your marks it will show that the string stretches (at least more than the cable). Depending on how good the rigging is on the bow and what it's made of, if you mark the cam right away when new, you'll see very little stretch.
This little trick also lets you get your drawlength right back to snuff when you replace the string or cable.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:28 PM

I saw a dealer using an aluminum bar with two pins (thats what I call them. The pins fit into the cam on mathews bows. He states that even though they say that single cams cant get out of tune they are wrong. I think he may be looking to see if the bar aligns with the string or cable?? He says if it doesn't line up he can twist the string to get it to realign. Maybe I am way off here, wasn't really paying too much attention.