Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

On the subject of new strings

Old 03-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default On the subject of new strings

I always keep an extra string on hand just in case in my unstoppable urge to mess with things I happen to cut one or otherwise ruin the one on my bow, for those of you who keep an extra string, do you shoot a string in then take it off and keep it as your backup? It would certainly make sense especially the closer you get to hunting season, to not have to worry about shooting in your backup.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: On the subject of new strings

Maybe I've been fortunae but if I need to replace my string I just do it and put everything to my specs. Very rarely do I have to worry about peep rotation or creep or anything like that. Maybe I've just been fortunate or maybe it's BCY!
Old 03-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I guess I've been fortunate myself, I don't shoot one in and take it off, I was just wondering if anyone else took the time to do so. I don't take one off unless I have to once it's set up. I think things are getting a little boring in snow country.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't bring a back-up string, but I do bring a BACK-UP bow, sometimes two.

All rigged out and ready to hunt!

I had a cracked limb show up right before season opener. I will never be caught with my pants down like that again!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I normally have a backup bow as well though I can see the value in keeping an extra string handy. Maybe I will pick up a new one as well.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:54 AM

I replace my string at least once per year and I always keep my last string ready to go, in case of emergency. The backup string is already twisted to length and then the end loops are tied together to keep the string length correct. I keep a string loop attached in the right spot. I can pop my spare string on, and be hitting within an inch of my prior string's group on the first shot.

I've never had a string break during hunting season, but I have had a couple that broke a strand or two while hunting. I was able to replace these in minutes, without having to re-tune my bow.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

I change my strings/cables every year, but it's easy for me to do as I make all my own.

But if I were to take a big hunting trip, like out west for elk hunting and did not bring a spare bow along, then YES I would definitely have a spare string and cable set along with me that had been previously shot in for 100 shots or so. And also the emergency repair kit with a Bowmaster press, serving, d-loops, bow square, etc...

Doing that is CHEAP insurance when you're spending thousands on a hunting trip. All it takes is a $20 string that picks the wrong time to possibly fail and you have a ruined hunt.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Todd,

I think I want to move into your basement....string making setup, hooter shooter...heck, you are better equipped than some of the shops in my area...
Old 03-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I think I want to move into your basement....string making setup, hooter shooter...heck, you are better equipped than some of the shops in my area...
And a vast majority of shops in my area. That's the reason I have all this stuff- is that I want to do all my own tinkering, and I'm very fortunate to be able to aquire the equipment needed. And there aren't many shops around me the cater to the target side of archery.

I love my basement. Yellowstone string jig, 300# string stretcher mounted on the wall, Apple drawing machine, Hooter Shooter, high-speed cutoff saw, chrono, Bitz fletchers, grain scales, bow vises, Apple Hercules press, draw scales, paper tuning stand, sight levers, arrow straightner, target bale, soon to come is a spine tester, and at work I even have access to high-speed video equipment. Haven't had the nerve to bring an archery setup into work yet.... Maybe some weekend when no-one is around.....
Old 03-10-2004, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

On trips, I keep an extra string and a portable press on hand, I also keep serving thread, an extra release, and super glue on hand as well as an assortment of screws, etc. On daily excursions, no.

Quick Reply: On the subject of new strings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.