Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How do you measure string stretch?

Old 03-07-2004, 07:22 PM

Default How do you measure string stretch?

How do you check and see if your string has stretched without taking the cables and string of and measuring them? I don't have a bow press so I am looking for signs that I can check (I woudl assume draw weight, tiller, etc.). I have read a lot about 03 Zebra strings and I have a 2003 LX so I am curious if I am already due for a new string and cable. What do you look for when practicing? Will string stretch have abig impact on where the bow is shooting?
Old 03-07-2004, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you measure string stretch?

measure your axle to axle length and compair it to the factory settings. This will tell you if and how much stretch you have encountered. good luck
Old 03-07-2004, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the help. Now for another bone-head question...Do I take the axle to axle measurement from the outside of the limb (where the pin holds the cam in place) or is there a more technical spot to take the measurement? Thanks for the help, I'm kind of new to the bow tuning side of things.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Actually you'd have to measure the axel to axel and compare it with future measurements of the individual bow I'd think. You won't necessarily get the same measurement from bow to bow. I usually measure by putting the tape measure over one axel pin and measuring to the top of the other axel pin. It doesn't matter where you measure from as long as you are consistent (unless you are comparing with someone elses measurements)..
Old 03-07-2004, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ampahunter and I had this discussion yesterday ,before I even shoot my new 2004 Patriot Dually I will measure my tiller and my axle to axle and my brace as well I'll mark my cam location's . I will document it all so to have a reference.
nebuck! yes I'd measure from the outside and go from center of axle to center of axle.

nubo
Old 03-08-2004, 05:34 AM

I've taken strings off new bows, that haven't been shot and found the string to be as much as an inch too long. Some were built poorly and crept while sitting. Others were built to the wrong length. You cannot trust what comes on the bow.

In order to get a point of reference. I recommend taking the string and cables off and getting them to factory spec. (length), by twisting. I put mine in a string jig and put about 80-100 pounds of tension on it. Measure it, and add twists, until it measures what it should. After doing this, take the axel to axel measurement and write it down for future reference. You only have to do this once. On a single cam bow, the string will have crept approximately twice what the measured axel to axel length discrepancy was.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the 03 LX and have some advice. Do not go with the winners choice with this bow. Save yourself some money. The winners choice has a problem with it not seating correctly in the roller guards. I don't know if it is due to the X coat or their serving methods. I had two strings in a row that started to have sufficient serving wear under the roller when the bow was in the at rest position. I switched back to the Zebra and the string seated properly. I have the newer roller guard . After the problems were happening with the earlier models roller guards there were some changes made under warranty. If your roller guards have the small macnined hole closest to the bow, then you have the later improved roller guard. These bows still have a problem with the winners choice though. I haven't tried any others yet, but needed to get the bow shooting quick for upcoming tournaments. The axle to axle on these bows should be set close to specs in order to apply proper pressure on the roller guards. These bows are awsome shooting bows, but I have found that they need a little TLC.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:01 PM

I have the newer roller guard also. I might see if I can have the guys at the shop where I bought it put if it in the press and get the string twisted a bit. I need to invest in a press I guess so I can learn to do all this myself. I got some good info on this site about Prostring company. Any idea if these strings have a problem with the roller guard?
Thanks for the help.