Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Strings

Old 03-06-2004, 11:15 AM

Default Strings

Can someone please give me a run down on string materieals out there. Plusses and negitives on the 450 and Ultracam and the other popular materials. I need and or want a new string form my bow, but don't know what would be best for me. I have a Mathews bow with the z string. It has done ok, but am sick ou the stretch they claim does not happen. It always seems to creap when hunting season is very close and am tired of the retune so close to season. I want something that won't stretch after the first break in period and will last longer. I like to tinker and do the majotity of my bow work and am not afraid of it, but don't like to do it so often. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Strings

Bownut,
I'm not into string making yet but I can suggest you do a search. There has been a lot of talk about the various materials and custom string makers around the country. I could rattle on about some of the better materials, but I know I'd forget some Also there is a lot of info to pick up over at www.archerytalk.com about strings. There are a lot of pro's and competition shooters over there that really know their stuff.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:09 AM

The string material with the least amount of stretch/creep is Ultracam. It has the highest percentage of Vectran, and Vectran is the material that resists stretch the most. On the downside, Vectran is more brittle and will have a greater tendency to break than other materials. Because of the downside, manufacturers mix the Vectran with Dyneema. Vectran blend strings are slightly heavier, therefore a tad slower, then 100% Dyneema products (2-5 fps).

Personally, I have had great luck with Ultracam. However, the method used to tie the string is even more important then what material it is made out of. I make my own, and take my time to make a great string. I periodically measure my axel to axel length to check against creep. Six months of shooting on my last string, resulted in only about 1/6" string creep (1/32") axel to axel movement. Another upside I've found is how quiet a good Ultracam string is on the shot. I make 16 strand Ultracam strings and have always found my bow noticably quieter then when shooting the string it came with.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

Try www.bcyfibers.com . They used to have an evaluation but I haven't been on it for a while. Personally I like BCY 450 Plus. I change mine (string and cable) every year and use the same bow for 3D and hunting and the string doesn't stretch using 450+. I plan on trying 452 as I believe it gives you a little more versitility in the number of strands you can use. Have used BCY DynaFlight 97 and it was okay as was S4 (but tended to be more "brittle").
Just to hit on a pet peeve of mine and not down any companies but I feel you should change the string at least every year and the cable(s) at least every other year. I feel that companies that charge an excesive amount influence the shooter to not change as often as they should do by either price or conclusions that since it cost so much it will last longer. No matter what material it is it will get the same amount of abuse from you. At one shop I helped at we'd get the majority of bows in with broken strings (under the nocking point) just before hunting season and be told they were about 4-5 years old.
On a side note, making your own string/cable isn't rocket science and for a small cost you can do your own. I made my own jig and think I have about $35.00 into it. There are various videos and sights to help you with making them.
Sorry to ramble.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:54 AM

I have been using Ultracam, 452 and 450 plus to make strings. So far I like the Ultracam the best. It has been working real well for me on the strings I have been making.
Old 03-07-2004, 05:01 PM

Straightarrow,

Are you shooting Ultracam mixed with the Dyneema or straight Ultracam? And is the mixed blend a little more durable for abuse while hunting? I am looking at getting a string and cable made from Berry Strings, what do you think of his strings? Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 05:22 AM

Bownutty,

Ultracam is a blend of Dyneema and Vectran. I don't make strings out of two different types of string, and I doubt that it is recommended.

I like it for hunting, because it's very stable. It is not affected easily by heat. Many strings will creep, just from sitting in a hot truck. Ultracam will resist this very well. I don't know if one type is more reliable in the field (under abuse). I would guess that they are all similar.

I've never had a Berry string, but I've heard nothing but good about them. They look very nice in the photos Ive seen. I don't think you could go wrong with one.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:31 AM

Thanks Straightarrow! I will give Ultracam a try. I guess you can get a string and cable from Berry Strings for about $50.00. Seems like a good price as compared to Winners Choice.