Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Any Xtec or Outback guys out there?

Old 03-06-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Any Xtec or Outback guys out there?

Ok...I just got back from the bow shop and dang am I torn on what to get. It's either the Xtec or the Outback, but I'm leaning more towards the Xtec. Mainly because how easy it is to draw even when maxed out at 70 or so. That thing draws like your pulling 50lbs. Both, IMO, are equally or are very close in regards to being quiet, smooth, very minimal hand shock..if much at all, small valley. Now here is where I need some help. Which one should I get?? LOL I don't really care about the whole Matthews/Hoyt/Bowtech thing...because it doesn't matter to me one bit what I'm shooting. So throw that out the door. What do you think about the Xtec's Triax Limb pockets? Any info that led you guys to buy what you have....I'd like to hear. I appreciate all the info!!
Old 03-06-2004, 01:49 PM

Default RE: Any Xtec or Outback guys out there?

The best I could offer you without being biased would be to go there and shoot both again. Be sure they are setup exactly the same, poundage, rest, sights, etc. See if one jumps out a little more at you and makes your decision for you. One advantage I do see is that I feel Mathews would have a higher resale value if you wanted to get something new in a couple years. I am sure they are both excellent choices.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:07 AM

bigdaddy,

I'd hate to make my shop go through all that work setting each bow up with the same equipment just to see which one I'd like better, but I may have to.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2004, 10:19 AM

I had a Legacy which I thought at the time was the nicest bow. After feeling and shooting an Xtec, I had changed my mind really quick. To me, the Xtec felt great. I ended up buying a Vipertec, but as of Thursday, it's gone and the Xtec will be mine. I was stuck in the biased thinking of Mathews Mathews Mathews, but the Hoyt Xtec is to nice to pass up. I don't think you will have to worry about anykind of resale, because if you look on Ebay now, the Hoyt Tec line is pretty much selling just about the same as the Mathews bows. The Xtec is such a nice bow, that I don't think you would have any problem selling it. I think it's a matter of feel. Whatever feels best to you is what you should go with!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had an Xtec up until recently and was very happy with its performance and design. You mentioned the Triax limb pockets. I think that Hoyt took an already great design and made them even more durable and potentially superior...at least to their previous design. In that case only time will tell. Great bow...a little longer than I like to shoot but very well balanced overall.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:39 AM

PA & bowhunterchris,

Seeing that you two probably have way more bow experience overall and maybe on the Xtec.....what speed should I be expecting to have out of it?? I'm shooting Beman ics 400's, 100 grain broadhead, cobra sidewinder sight and a fall away rest. I appreciate the info.