Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

F. O. C.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:17 AM

Default F. O. C.

If the f. o. c. percentange is lower than the suggested range, what affect if any will that have on arrow flight. Mine is approximately 2% low. Should I go with a heavier broadhead/fieldpoint?
Old 03-05-2004, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: F. O. C.

If FOC is too low, the arrow will be unstable in flight. It will take longer to stabilize after launch. Wind will have a much easier time blowing it off course. A very small unseen twig will cause much more deflection than it would with proper FOC. It will make the bow harder to tune. It will make the bow much more critical of shooting form issues. Broadheads will magnify those issues

You can tune and shoot accurately with such an arrow, and a lot of guys do. My masochistic streak doesn't run quite that wide. I'd suggest going to a heavier head, or switching to feather fletch if you're using vanes.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

In the spirit of your suggestions, what do you think about this arrow?

XT7595
UniBushing with G-Nock
Shield cut 5" feathers at full left helical
75G tip
FOC = 7.66%

They shoot well with field tips but haven't tried broadheads. If it were your arrow, would you make the jump to 100G tips for an FOC of 10.2%

Fritz
Old 03-05-2004, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely, mrfritz. I'd definitely make the switch.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

F O C is one of my least concerns , in fact I belive if it is to great your arrow drop at distances 30 yards and greater will be much greater . I say try it and see how accurate you are with it . FOC I belive is more of a concern for distance shooting in the wind for field archery . For hunting I think any thing between 8 to 12 or 13 is fine , Much more important is spine . Come on guys I know theirs a bunch that are going to disagree with me on this one , jshep56 try it and see , last year I shot arrows that had an 8% foc and they worked great , and yes that was with fixed and mechanical heads .
Old 03-05-2004, 09:01 AM

My foc is at 8% and I've having trouble tuning my bow. I shoot Easton XX75's on 100 grain broadheads and points. I think I'll try 125 grain. What I'm looking for is consistancy in arrow flight. I don't have that now. Besides, just from the economic standpoint, going heavier on broadheads and field points is cheaper.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:12 AM

Switching to feathers should also raise your FOC a little - also a cheaper alternative to buying new arrows.

I checked my FOC on bowjackson and if I switch to feathers - my FOC increases by almost 2%
Old 03-05-2004, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with ijimmy that spine is more important than FOC, though I don't totally ignore FOC's importance like he does. That's like having two dogs, doting over one and ignoring the other. The one that's ignored will eventually bite your arse in order to be noticed. [:-]

Keep an eye on your arrow spine when changing point weights.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll add that I shoot 27 or 28" arrows so its allmost imposable for me to make an arrow that has less than 8% foc . For someone shooting a 33 inch arrow , it will be more critical . In genral , and in the year coming up my setup will have 11 to 12% foc , not that Im woried about it , its the last thing on my list of concerns .
Old 03-05-2004, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

On my hunting bow i shoot arrows with a 12% FOC. I use alu's and fixed broadheads. I never set it up to shoot distance because my max hunting distance will not further than 30 yrds. I have just two pins in my sight and anything thats fits between them is a sure perfect hit. This is also because this high FOC makes it easy to hit secure. I would not know if a low FOC is harder to tune or not because on my 3D bow i go to FOC as low as 3%. This makes the arrow start off at a very flat trajectory up till 45 yards and dropping hight just a little at the longer shots. I noticed slightly drifting on wind to, but thats only at strong wind and still not to much.
I know a higher FOC shoots easyer but a lower FOC makes me hitting targets up to 80 yards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.