Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about gripping a bow?

Old 03-03-2004, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about gripping a bow?

I asked a question about this a long time ago but I am still debating what to do. I just started shooting again this year now that the snow is almost gone and I am debating on which way I should grip my bow. I always just shot with a closed hand and didn't have any noticable problems. Once I got more into shooting I wanted to lessen my chance of torque so I started shooting with my pointer and thumb touching and everything else sticking out. Well one time I shot and my fingers came apart and my bow went falling to the gravel. So now I have been shotting with all my fingers lightly resting on my riser but when I shoot my hand tightens. Does anybody have any suggestions. Thanks-Sam
Old 03-03-2004, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question about gripping a bow?

That's what a bow sling is for. Any archery shop should carry them.

It goes around the top of your wrist so you can shoot with an open hand and not have to worry about the bow falling out of your grip when the shot goes off.

Gripping the handle generally involves muscles being exerted and some forces are applied on the side of the riser grip. Forces on the side of the grip during the shot are not a good thing to promote accuracy.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

What Black Frog said.

A relaxed and loose grip is the proper way to hold a bow and will cut down on the torque.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do you ever have a problem anticipating the shot and closing your hand or do you just close it right after the shot? Also do you have problems getting your hand through that sling with big gloves?
Old 03-03-2004, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

A sling is supposed to be really loose so it shouldn't be a problem with getting your hands through it.I've never had a problem but I have small hands.

I would suggest getting a sling but also to get a finger sling of some sort for practice.This will help eliminate the anticipation and teach you confidence in the shot.

www.lancasterarchery.com should have both.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:49 PM

I made mine. Got some leather and tied it end to end around the spot I needed it.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Slings are great on the shooting line, but they have drawbacks on a hunting bow. You've got to jack around with the sling, getting it over your hand before taking a shot. Wearing gloves just makes the problem worse. A compound is slow enough getting ready for a shot, and I don't want anything on the bow that will slow it down even more. Sometimes you've got plenty of time to waste, sometimes you've got to get the shot off NOW or you miss an opportunity.

I've shot slings a lot in tournament, but finally came to the conclusion that since I won't hunt with one, I shouldn't shoot with one either.

I take a light grip on the bow between my thumb and index finger with the middle finger rested on the front of the grip. My ring finger and pinky are curled up between my grip and palm. My grip is light, but strong enough to keep the bow from getting away from me.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

my sling poses no problems at all. I have a leather braided sling which is fairly rigid and i have it adjusted for a rather large opening (I have a big hand). it stays in place and it is effortless to grab bow and get ready to shoot. make sure you get a sling that is adjustable and can be opened larger.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:52 PM

Just saying the word "grip' will induce torque

You should 'hold" the bow or better yet - let the bow rest in your hand

I started shooting with my pointer and thumb touching and everything else sticking out

it takes muscle tension to keep fingers stuck out. they should fall naturally and limp. Try to shut down all the muscles in your body and relax.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes get yourself a sling! that's why you grip when you shoot, your anticipating the bow to drop out of your hand after you release your arrow, a sling should help with this problem. Don't grip the bow! rest it in the v part of your hand loosely you can curl your fingers so they touch the front of the riser or you can keep your fingers open, which ever you feel more comfortable with.

nubo

Quick Reply: Question about gripping a bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.