Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about gripping a bow?

Old 03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question about gripping a bow?

Use a sling. I can shoot without one, but feel much better about it when I have one on the bow, especially in a treestand.

One little thing I picked up from a buddy that really seems to have helped me. When gripping the handle, place the tips of your fingers lightly against the front of the grip. The concept is that if you do happen to squeeze the grip a little, the it wont actually twist the grip, thus torquing the handle. I've been shooting like this for a while now and really noticed that my left/right shots have been minimized quite a bit. This may or may not be "politically correct", but it seems to work for me.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the help! But do you tighten your hand right after the shot or do you just let the bow fall and be caught by the sling? If you tighten your hand then I do this when I shoot with a loose grip w/o the sling.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:49 AM

But do you tighten your hand right after the shot
Enter one result of target panic

Along with other symptoms - your bow hand will catch up to your release hand and what was once tightening up "after the shot" becomes tightening up during or even befor the shot.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

do you just let the bow fall and be caught by the sling
Correct

The hand is the only true contact point with the bow,therefore you want your hand to influence the bow as little as possible, you want as little hand contact on the grip as possible, using a relaxed grip on the bow.If you whiteknuckle grip, or straight stiff finger the grip then the hand is not relaxed, let the grip rest in the hand from the lifeline in the palm to the thumb. I find the sling to be a mental thing for me, its just there to reasure me that the bow wont drop to the floor.
If the bow falls after the shot then you have accomplished the proper grip shot form, if you grab the bow by reflex after the shot the chances are that you are grabbing the bow before the arrow has completly left the bow therefore you have altered or effected the flight of the arrow.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only guys that ever grab their bow are the ones using a loose grip. Even if they have a sling, most of them still grab the bow out of reflex. In the grand scheme of things, there are very few people that have a sling on their bow that actually use it properly, by letting the sling catch the bow after the shot. The ones that shoot good manage to grab the bow after the arrow is gone. The ones that shoot bad grab the bow before the arrow has cleared the bow. (They're the guys that hope dropaway rests can save their buns. Always looking for another crutch.)

If you maintain a light grip on the bow, you won't ever grab the bow on the shot at all. You done got it grabbed, enough to keep it off the ground. I still say save your money. Play around a little with your hand position to find a grip you can use that will be solid and torque free, but give you confidence the bow will stay in your hand.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not sure if this is one of the topics we're allowed to give advice on or not, so I'll just say........hire a coach
Old 03-04-2004, 08:27 AM

what Arthur P said.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:38 AM

what Arthur P said.
Yup !!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, get a sling. And then read this. http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...bowhunter/grip

This is a very good article with pictures and all.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

One other thing I forgot to mention. Try working on getting your bow to balance well. If the bow is balancing well for you, it will not fall over as fast and basically sit in your hand after the shot for a moment or two. Once it does begin to fall, the arrow has already found its target and you can grab the bow and put another arrow in. I find that if the bow wants to fall directly after the shot, I want to grab it to keep it upright to "follow through" the shot. Once it is balancing in my hand after the shot, I can watch the arrow though my sight housing all the home.

Quick Reply: Question about gripping a bow?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.