Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Limb problems on a Hoyt

Old 03-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Limb problems on a Hoyt

My buddy has an 02 Cybertec and he noticed a little notch worn into the inside of one of the limbs. He's not sure how long it has been there or how it happened. Its maybe between 1/16-1/32 of an inch notch. He's wondering if its a big problem or if it should be ok. Regardless he is going to take it to the shop and find out. I just wanted to know what you guys on here thought about the situation.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Limb problems on a Hoyt

No this isn't ok but the bigger question is where and why is it happening.There is something way out of line if it is happening and it needs to be fixed.

The limb probably won't fail but if it is at the limb pocket it could promote limb shift and if it is at the cam end then it probably won't be a big problem BUT may be a starting point for limb failure.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's about 6 inches from the end of the riser.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does it look like a nick taken out of it? If so, a nick that small is not a problem. I'd have it looked at and try to figure out if it was just a little nick from it hitting something, or if there is actually a failure taking place there. Hoyt warrents their limbs very well and you shouldn't have a problem getting them replaced if need be.

But I'd still have it looked at. You ever see a bow come apart? Ugly, ugly mess.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It does look like a small nick. Like it bumped something. Again its very small. I don't think he'll be able to get the limbs replaced seeing as he bought the bow used.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would be concerned. Assuming these are XT2000 limbs, Hoyt uses multilayer laminated material to construct their limbs. A nick in the limb could promote delamination of the limbs over time if not monitored. I think that your friend is taking the correct action by taking the bow to a local shop to have the limbs replaced.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are ZR 200 limbs Pa.